• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Setting up my first tank, need some guidance.

Neptune's Neighborhood

5 Year Member
There are some species profiles on that site as well here
This forum and that site are some of the best resources I've found. There are great books out there as well, but I will let someone else speak to that as information sometimes becomes quickly outdated.

madmike

Thanks for the tips.

A. cacatuoides looking at the man with the camera.

IMG_1619_zpsbf7231eb.jpg

Hunting for food. Love the colors!

IMG_1648_zpsb9483233.jpg

A. macmasteri out chasing some tetras for fun.

IMG_1657_zps83b37a87.jpg

IMG_1661_zps2ef8966a.jpg

And then he had enough, so he went inside again.

madmike

Today I got a bag of free Pistia stratiotes which I added to my tank. A nice dim light in the aquarium now thanks to the lovely plant. I also recieved a couple of batches of Microsorum pteropus and Taxiphyllum barbieri. It's poorly detailed now as I'm still waiting for my roots to arrive.

I also received three more apistos, said to be a wild caught a. gephyra, a. hongsloi and a. viejita (macmasteri of course...) They were all supposed to be males, but I'm doubting it. The gephyra is very shy and hiding away at the filter intake. As for the supposed a. macmasteri (I'm 99.9% it's a female) she's getting chased and "swooned" by the macmasteri male all the time. Her belly looks red? I also acquired four C. paleatus which are thriving at all the algae.

The old macmasteri scouting for the new citizens.
IMG_1675_zpsd7f68126.jpg

A. cacatuoides also doing a little scouting
IMG_1673_zpsb6f371fd.jpg

A. hongsloi?

IMG_1671_zps27a86626.jpg

Maybe a future couple? For the sake of the cory's and the other inhabitants I hope not, unless I move them to another tank.

IMG_1700_zpsd0081f5e.jpg
IMG_1680_zps913344f7.jpg

This is the female, I believe..

IMG_1698_zpsd5fd3897.jpg

A. macmasteri visiting the lonely gephyra.

IMG_1685_zps80c98517.jpg

A. gephyra, can anyone see if this is a female or a male? I do believe I saw some blue markings on its face.

IMG_1682_zpsca0ae9b5.jpg

And last, a Cory enjoying itself.

IMG_1683_zps9bda01b9.jpg

madmike

I got around to decorating my aquarium with the new stuff I got. The water got a nice golden brown color and the pH lowered itself to a suitable 5.8-6.0. The new heaters also stabilized the temperature and I noticed immediately that a. macmasteri female and the a. hongsloi gained good colors. Excuse me for the bad photos, but the aquarium is dirty on the outside at the moment. The pictures of the tank in the whole is taken before the catappa leaves could affect the color.

20130525_084354_zpsab70681c.jpg
IMG_1727_zps2eb0c24b.jpg
IMG_1728_zps5f64c607.jpg

IMG_1729_zps070d28bc.jpg

Here you can clearly see the colors of the macmasteri female. Wonderful fish! They both seem interested in each other, but there's been no eggs or sperm spraying yet.
COLOR][COLOR=

IMG_1739_zps56d7272f.jpg

a. macmasteri male is at guard and is bossing around the aquarium with nice colors and growing fins.
IMG_1747_zpsa9768820.jpg

a. hongsloi
IMG_1796_zpsce2d667b.jpg

IMG_1785_zpsd4b8fcd4.jpg
IMG_1784_zps0645df0c.jpg

I also started making baby brine shrimp - what a fun experience to see the fish going crazy about living food.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….