• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mysteriously dying BBS

raymond82

Thanks for sharing your method! The method I use does not differ too much from the one you describe but the most important thing is that it always used to work up until two months ago.

After my last post here not much improved and I decided to buy new cysts to see if the problem was there. The result was very interesting: with the new cysts the BBS don't die massively anymore and I get reasonable hatches after 48 hours at 21 degrees. However, I still have a lot more dead BBS than I used to have. So probably the cysts were part of the problem but I haven't figured out what else is affecting BBS survival. I'm also using a pinch of baking soda now but that doesn't seem to have much effect.

All in all it remains a bit of a mystery but the good news is that I have BBS again every day now, even though quite a big proportion of it dies in the bottle.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Use a cheap marine Saltwater mix.
This allows a lower salinity since 1 tablespoon/liter is all that is required.
Also a temperature of ~27*C/80*F will hatch them within 24 hours.

raymond82

i always clean with hot water my water bottles in between every batch. if for some reason i don't clean the container in between batches this is when i might have a batch of brine shrimps go bad

I have the same experience as you, sometimes I even clean the bottles with bleach. However, these problems persisted even after cleaning with either bleach or hot water.

Use a cheap marine Saltwater mix.
This allows a lower salinity since 1 tablespoon/liter is all that is required.
Also a temperature of ~27*C/80*F will hatch them within 24 hours.

I've used four different kinds of salt so far, and also added baking powder in some occasions but I didn't get persistent improvements with that. If I come across cheap marine saltwater mix I'll try that too!

themountain

5 Year Member
I had that problem once I made a new hatchery and had no problem after that
What you mean by that?? Different bottle and everything was ok?? I checked about the chlorine and its fairly low ,so now I am completely puzzled. I use marine salt and never had an issue ....but lately , it sucks!:confused:

gerald

5 Year Member
Are there any local aquarist friends that you can give a sample of eggs to for hatching? If they fail too (assuming they know how to hatch BS eggs) then you probably have a bad can of eggs.

Bill82

What you mean by that?? Different bottle and everything was ok?? I checked about the chlorine and its fairly low ,so now I am completely puzzled. I use marine salt and never had an issue ....but lately , it sucks!:confused:
Yes I just changed the bottle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….