• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New species: Apistogramma paulmuelleri sp. n.

Tom C

5 Year Member
The species formerly known as Apistogramma sp. "Masken" has been scientifically described, as
Apistogramma paulmuelleri sp. n .

resizeimage.aspx

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
While I'm at it--here is another one

Attachments

• Roemer_et_al_2012_Vertebrate_Zoology_Apistogramma_allpahuayo.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 563

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks Tom, Dave. I see Uwe is being very careful with which populations he includes in the new species. He excludes some of the Apache, Carapintada (in part), & Peru-Regani forms from the species. Definitely nothing wrong with that. It's better than 'lumping' several species together (think A. cruzi sensu lato) and then having to sort them out later.

Technically 'sp. n.' is the abbreviation for 'species novum' which, as Tom states means 'new species'. The new rules for describing a new species by the ICBN now requires any new species to be labeled as a new species in the original description. In the past, too many names were used informally, but used by others as valid names. Mic(k)rogeophagus is a prime example. Fry (1957) used Microgeophagus and Meulengracht-Madsen (1968) used Mikrogeophagus for Orinoco Rams in aquarium publications, but seemingly not intending them to be formal descriptions. Based on old rules, however, their descriptions could (and were!) used to name the cichlid genus. It also led to all kinds of controversies. If the new rules were in place at that time, neither description could be used as a formal description - and Papiliochromis Kullander 1977 would be the name we would now use for the Rams.;)

raymond82

Thanks for clarifying that, Dave, Tom and Mike! Interesting to read the story about the history of the name of the Rams too!!

I hadn't noticed the sp. n. before in scientific descriptions but it's not like with undescribed species where you have to use sp. (like A. sp. Wilhelmi) but I can refer to the fish as A. paulmuelleri.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Unless your fish come from the type localities, I think Uwe would take exception.;) If in doubt, call them A. cf. paulmuelleri with the common name under which they were sold. Me? A. paulmuelleri is OK with me (for whatever that's worth).:D

raymond82

I'll settle for A. paulmuelleri, I don't think I've seen it offered but it's a very nice fish. If I would ever go look for it at least I know what to call it now!

raymond82

I'll settle for A. paulmuelleri, I don't think I've seen it offered but it's a very nice fish. If I would ever go look for it at least I know what to call it now! Although most likely it will take a while for the name to land, I also see A. allpahuayo offered as A. sp. Black Chin quite often.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….