• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New fish incoming

cichlidmac

I just won two bids from apistodave on aquabid. Borellii opal and location 21. I am eagerly awaiting their arrival :)

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

Brown Water

Nice, he has great fish.

The few pairs I have got from him have been awesome, and intresting. All fish are quite skiddish, and the only thing I can stack it up to is f1.

cichlidmac

Got them today! Thanks Dave! They are in there own 55 gallon.
uploadfromtaptalk1363128231501.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363128247491.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Dr. Römer described A. cinilabra and claimed that it was found only in one pool. Tom C & I had collected this species at the type locality and in a nearby stream before Römer described the fish. At the time it was listed under many different names: A. sp. Schwarzbrust/Black-breast; Roter/Roterpunkt; A. sp. 2000; A. sp.; A. sp. Doña Martina; A. sp. Red Rio Tigre. The fish that Dave (and you) have originated from a stream near the Km 21 marker on the Iquitos to Nauta highway. Römer considers it different from A. cinilabra because of its location and slightly different body color. Last Fall, TomC & I both collected at KM 21 (culvert that carried the stream under the highway was filled with bats, BTW). The dark markings were the same. The 2 locations are <5 Km from each other and in the same river system (Río Itaya?). So, the diagnostic features are alike, the collecting locations are very close to each other (the pool might even be attached to the stream during high water), therefore to me they are the same species. If you want to make them unique, then call them A. cinilabra "Km 21".

cichlidmac

Just got the perfect tank mates for my new apistogrammas. Wild coral red pencils
uploadfromtaptalk1363487274626.jpg

cichlidmac

Nice, he has great fish.

The few pairs I have got from him have been awesome, and intresting. All fish are quite skiddish, and the only thing I can stack it up to is f1.
Mine aren't skittish at all. I've been feeding them with food in a net to get them use to me.
uploadfromtaptalk1363548645314.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
TomC just emailed me. I need to correct my statements. Tom & I collected at KM77 not KM21. The KM77 specimens IMHO are A. cinilabra, contrary to what Dr. Römer believes. Now, if your fish truly are from KM21, then they may be (probably are) different from either the holotype or KM77 populations of A. cinilabra. The 2 photos I see appear to be more like a cruzi-subcomplex form (lower dorsal, more prominent dorsal spots and abdominal stripes), but I can't be sure without seeing the veritcal bars (not visible on either photo). Tom told me that they look more like A. sp. Napo 3, a cruzi-like fish, which is also possible.

Thanks, Tom, for correcting me. I wish more people would.

cichlidmac

TomC just emailed me. I need to correct my statements. Tom & I collected at KM77 not KM21. The KM77 specimens IMHO are A. cinilabra, contrary to what Dr. Römer believes. Now, if your fish truly are from KM21, then they may be (probably are) different from either the holotype or KM77 populations of A. cinilabra. The 2 photos I see appear to be more like a cruzi-subcomplex form (lower dorsal, more prominent dorsal spots and abdominal stripes), but I can't be sure without seeing the veritcal bars (not visible on either photo). Tom told me that they look more like A. sp. Napo 3, a cruzi-like fish, which is also possible.

Thanks, Tom, for correcting me. I wish more people would.

Wish I had the knowledge to....

cichlidmac

I'll post a better pic today. So technically this is still an undescribed species?

cichlidmac

I just wanted to thank you again, this is such a great resource. My fascination with apistogramma is becoming an obsession and I really appreciate being able to learn here.

cichlidmac

uploadfromtaptalk1363731791559.jpg

He does have 2 very faint bluish horizontal bars under the black bar but you can't really see it in the photo.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it is A. sp. Napo 3, then it's an undescribed species. If it's A. cinilarbra, then it's scientifically described. I can't say anything about which species it truly is without seeing the vertical bars on the flanks. These usually only appear on stressed/frightened fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rileylouie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….