• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need your help in Identification

Michaela Else

I believe these two are two females but I'm not sure of which species.
My partner and I bought them from someone clearing out their tank and was just sold to use as 'Apistogramma' with no identification other than that.

We bought a pair of Super Red Agassizi from a local aquatic shop and these two are attempting to breed but both attack these two. I've scoured the internet looking at many pictures and looking up general information and I've come up with two possibilities.

Either they are Agassizi because of the spot in the middle and show the same colour changes as our own Super Red female.

BUT.
They lack the distinct spade shaped tail fin of our male and female that makes me wonder if they're Macmasteri.

I had to take pictures with my mobile phone so please excuse the lack of quality but I've taken hundreds of pictures and selected the best quality. If you need more pictures to give a 100% distinction I'll gladly post more pictures.

I want to make sure what they are as I'm looking to get some breeding tanks set you and remove them from the community tank and see if our Agassizi will breed sucessfully.

2012-03-22 10.00.49-1.jpg

Ruki

5 Year Member
Photo is too blurry for proper identification but for me they look like something related with Apistogramma iniridae.

Michaela Else

Photo is too blurry for proper identification but for me they look like something related with Apistogramma iniridae.
Thanks for your input, I've looked them up and they indeed could be what we have, I've uploaded some videos of them and a comparrison video between our agassizi pair if it helps.

I noticed something interesting today, our more yellow unidentified female was displaying along with our male, the male displaying much like he does with our agassizi female when she's in ths mood to brood but the female wasn't 'dancing' along with him and kept retreating. Unfortunately it ended too quickly for me to get my camcorder going on my phone to capture the moment.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….