• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I.D please

Walshy

hey guys. i ordered a pair of uaupesi. got an amazing bitaeniata. but the female im not so sure. pretty certain shes not a bitaeniata. if anyone could help me out on this one it would be great.. heres some photoes. these are the best photoes i have bin able to get. recently she has gone a pale whtish sort of color. almost like an attempt at a brooding dress.. but not yellow lol.
IMG_0986.JPG
resize2.jpg
resize3.jpg
resize4.jpg
resize5.jpg
resize6.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The "she" looks like it could possibly be uaupesi based on the lace like pattern I can see on the tail. Keep working on some better shots of the fish though so the details are a little better.

Walshy

YEh he is a stunner! Lol. Really wanna breed him but tracking down a female in aus is turning out real difficult. What a bummer I got a mixed pair. I'm not too worried about what the female is. Just needed to confirm it wasnt bitaeniata. Thanks guys.

gerald

5 Year Member
She's certainly thicker bodied than typical bitaeniata females, but big older females can sometimes look odd in many species, both in body shape and pigment. Are you guys really sure she's not the same species as the male?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Positive Gerald. The tail pattern is not a bitaeniata one at all. She would have a clear tail with maybe part of the lateral line strip entering into the base. She's also a little high bodied for bitaeniata but as you said larger older females can take on some weird looks, especially in tank strain stock.

Walshy

Thanks heaps for taking the time to look guys :) whilst I have ur attention I might just point out that just near her anis she has a lump. U can see it in the photoes. The male didn't have the lump origionally but has developed one in the same spot but not as large as hers. Any ideas what it could be ?

Walshy

they are fed basically entirely on live blackworm. the blackworm is fed sera viformo tabs. and i feed them often so i assume that the apistos eat the blackworms with a belly full of sera viformo. i also keep some l066 catfish in their current tank (will be moving the cats out once i have a female for him to breed with) so viformo tabs and hikari algae wafers go in regularly. ocasionally frozen bloodworms and occasionally hikari brine shrimp. could the high proteins be causing the lump?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Obesity would be my guess. These are older fish and are much heavier than wild fish. A diet high in worms of any kind will cause this problem and leads to early death due to fatty livers, among other things.

Walshy

Oh. Well that's good news in a way. At least it's something that can be easily corrected. I feed mostly blackworms to keep them in breeding condition. But I guess when they are not breeding it just makes them fat. Lol. I spose I should back off the worms and put them to mainly voformo with ocasional live foods? Thanks for the input it is much appreciated :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Instead of only prepared food, I'd suggest adding some crustaceans to their diet (Artemia, Daphnia, Gammerus, etc.). This is a more natural diet and much lower in fat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….