• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T candidi

animalmgc

5 Year Member
reposting this from a question raised over on Anubias design yahoo groups cause it got me thinking of the idea

All,

I have been fortunate to have had some success breeding this little fish, and while I can't say it's been easy, it has been fun. I lost my last female from a nice strain that I had kept going for a couple of years now, and so in my attempts to replace her, I did a little research, and discovered that there are more than one "color form" of this fish and like the Checkerboard cichlid, Dicrossus filamentosus, which form you get depends on where the fish are collected from. There appears to be a Rio Negro form and an Amazon form, for D. filamentosus, the difference is in the caudal spotting, etc.

At any rate, I am wondering if anyone on here can comment on the number of color/pattern variations that T. candidi show, due to collection point. Where are most of the T. candidi collected for the trade? Which form is coming out the far east breeders?

Maybe, in light of this, I should get a whole new breeding group and start from scratch, rather than inadvertently mix things up from different locations???? Thoughts???

Best,

Brian Perkins
www.wildperu.net

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I have never considered T. candidi to have more than 1 form. Considering its wide distribution (Amazon tributaries between the Rio Tefé and Rio Tapajós) I wouldn't be surprised if there are several different forms. I just haven't seen significant differences in the populations. Something to look into. I believe that most T. candidi collected in the wild are coming from the Rio Negro (out of Manaus). Those from the Tapajós usually have 'Santarem' attached to the name somewhere.

madrededios

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I was recalling a conversation I had with Chuck Nishihira some years ago, when I was selling these and he asked me what form they were. I confessed that I didn't realize there was more than one. He was convinced that there were three or four and that the Japanese guys were keeping them this way- by location. Now I can't find Chuck or my notes! :O(. I see you on Sunday!

Best,

Brian Perkins
www.wildperu.net

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….