• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID needed, again

Adoketa

5 Year Member
Hi folks. I need some help with IDing this species. these females came in as contaminants with some inka from a colombian shipment. I managed to get a couple of young males but they died before they matured. Now i have only females and I am searching for males but I need to ID them before going out to look for them.

I hope this picture is clear enough
541121_10150654600066696_551686695_10065406_707099550_n.jpg

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Sure it was a Colombian shipment??

Inka (A. baenschi) normally comes out of Peru.

Double caudal spot on your female would suggest Apistogramma sp. Papagei, again another Peruvian species.

Andrew

Adoketa

5 Year Member
OOPS, my bad. Yes, it was a peruvian shipment, the NEXT shipment will be colombian. :) my apologies for the mixup.

Adoketa

5 Year Member
Sure it was a Colombian shipment??

Inka (A. baenschi) normally comes out of Peru.

Double caudal spot on your female would suggest Apistogramma sp. Papagei, again another Peruvian species.

Andrew

I'd love for it to be papagei. I spent weeks searching through internet pictures, going through both the cichlid compendiums, and all sorts of books i could find and could only arrive at Apistogramma sp. cruzi (as per pictures from Tom C's website) and even then I wasn't 100% sure.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Probably the 'poor man's Papagei' - A. sp. Roca Eterna. At least that is what is indicated by the high number of lateral blotches. Female A. sp. Papagei in brood dress usually show only 2, maybe 3 lateral spots.

Adoketa

5 Year Member
Thanks for the ID, Mike. Would it be possible to tell the difference between males of papagei and roca eterna?ie what features should I be looking out for in roca eterna which would differentiatite it from papagei? Thanks in advance.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Roca Eterna males are generally more deep-bodied/high-backed/chunkier than Papagei. They usually are not as colorful either. BTW, this thread and others like it should be in the 'South American Identification' sub-forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….