• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is my apisto?

Walshy

hey guys. i am new to this forum and hopefully i am posting in a right place. i have recently begun getting into breeding apistos and ordered one of the more rare apistos the uaupesi. what i got i am happy with.. its a wonderfull looking fish.. but i am skeptical if it is a uaupesi.. if it is not. if anyone could tell me what it is that would be appreciated. the photo qualities arent great.. and i will try to get some better ones. but these are all the photos i currently have. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0925.JPG
    IMG_0925.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0926.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 398
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 444
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 395

Walshy

one of those pictures is of my female beanchi. cant figure out how to get it off there lol.. sorry bout that. from scrolling through this forum..

i think i have bitaeniata. if anyone could could confirm for me that would be great. cheers

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Better pictures are needed for an ID but the fish is not uaupesi! Bitaeniata is a good guess at this point though. The spikey dorsal fin isn't found on uaupesi but is on bitaeniata.

Jeff

Walshy

Yeh. I was considering that it was a cacatoid. But it has no red anywhere. It's just blue/grey. And I am pretty sure most cacatoids are always with red or orange strongly through their fins. Bit disappointed that I didn't get what I ordered because I payed a lot for them. I will try and get some better photos. Thanks for the replies

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Yeh. I was considering that it was a cacatoid. But it has no red anywhere. It's just blue/grey. And I am pretty sure most cacatoids are always with red or orange strongly through their fins. Bit disappointed that I didn't get what I ordered because I payed a lot for them. I will try and get some better photos. Thanks for the replies

While the statement for red colour is true for the domestic strains it's certainly not the case with the wild forms, pictured below is a wild pair of cac's from the Picuruyacu region
Ap_cacatuoides_Picuruyacu_pair_002.jpg

The serrations along the dorsal fin of your fish look to extend for a fair length of the fin which would fit with both cac's and A. bitaeniata, I would suggest your fish is A. bitaeniata as the mouth just doesn't look heavy enough for a cac.

Andrew

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Also, look at the anal fin (bottom back fin) pattern. That is not a pattern of a cacatuoides but it fits bitaeniata. I still would like better pictures of the fish to make a positive ID though.

Walshy

lol. im not sure why they come up sideways. they are taken off my iphone. and when you view them on the comp they are the right way up.. but then upload sideways.

i sat patiently for half hour or so with my phone to get some better photoes and finally he gave me some decent ones. i am almost sure hes a biateniata. i saw a photo of one that looks almost identical to him so id say thats what i have. they are still fairly hard to come by in vic so i guess i havnt lucked out lol. thanks for all the input but confirmation with the clearer pics would still be apreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 435

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….