• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Full Boa Vista Trip

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Note the scientific names included are not confirmed, merely guesses.
Rio Caumé
I caught most of the fish in a small clearwater creek running into the rio Caumé
CopyofIMG_9574.jpg

CopyofIMG_9570.jpg

CopyofIMG_9579.jpg

CopyofIMG_9590.jpg

Fish
CopyofIMG_9602.jpg

Copyof20111178.jpg

CopyofIMG_9600.jpg

CopyofIMG_9597.jpg

Green Spring
CopyofIMG_9734.jpg

CopyofIMG_9746.jpg

I didn't have much time here and only caught A. gibbiceps The trio I kept survived the trip home.
CopyofIMG_9727.jpg

I collected in a muddy water hole too.
CopyofIMG_9350-1.jpg

CopyofIMG_9336-1.jpg

Apistogramma hippolytae or rupununi with what apears to be Laetecara thayeri
CopyofIMG_9331-1.jpg

CopyofIMG_9329-1.jpg

Collecting at Agua Boa
CopyofIMG_9054.jpg

CopyofIMG_9060.jpg

CopyofIMG_9067.jpg

I caught a few tiny apistos here more fotos of them later.
CopyofIMG_9602.jpg

The next fishing spot was another clearwater creek
Copyof20111289.jpg

Copyof20111277.jpg

Copyof20111268.jpg

Copyof20111257.jpg

There were a lot of fish here
Copyof20111306.jpg

Copyof20111302.jpg

But the best were apistogramma gibbiceps
Copyof20111287.jpg

Copyof20111279.jpg

And Crenicichla
Copyof20111190.jpg

Back at home
Pencilfish from Agua Boa
CopyofIMG_0687.jpg

CopyofIMG_0689.jpg

Apistogramma gibbiceps or A. rorimae
CopyofIMG_0926.jpg

CopyofIMG_0929.jpg

Apistogramma wapisana? I couldnt find one of the 120 or so that I caught, close to an inch
CopyofIMG_0920.jpg

CopyofIMG_0769.jpg

CopyofIMG_0938.jpg

CopyofIMG_0941.jpg

More photos and info on my blog passionate4pikes.wordpress.com

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is hard to say which gibbiceps-group species you have from these photos. Nevertheless, if they continue to show the fine diagonal striations instead of broader diagonal bars below the lateral band, then they are A. roraimae. And yes the other fish look like A. wapisana to me. Good finds!

Pelvicachromis

5 Year Member
Hudson, I want to thank you for sharing your trips and finds with us. The hobby is lucky to have you in Brazil, going out exploring and sharing with us!

Keith

ste12000

5 Year Member
Thanks Hudson, without your informative posts the world would be a much duller place.

The picture below must rank as one of the prettiest habitat photos ive seen from South America.. Beautiful.

Copyof20111277.jpg

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Thanks Hudson, without your informative posts the world would be a much duller place.

The picture below must rank as one of the prettiest habitat photos ive seen from South America.. Beautiful.

Copyof20111277.jpg
Wow that is really encouraging, thank you. I will try to get an underwater camera one of these days but I dont know if I will be able to go back there anytime soon.

Hudson, I want to thank you for sharing your trips and finds with us. The hobby is lucky to have you in Brazil, going out exploring and sharing with us!

Keith
Wow, thanks a lot, greatly apreciated.

It is hard to say which gibbiceps-group species you have from these photos. Nevertheless, if they continue to show the fine diagonal striations instead of broader diagonal bars below the lateral band, then they are A. roraimae. And yes the other fish look like A. wapisana to me. Good finds!
Is there any other way to tell them apart? When were the species seperated? or maybe a better question, when was A. roraimae found to be a seperate species?

thanx for sharing
Your very welcome

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. roraimae was originally described by Dr. Kullander in 1980. At the time he only had females (holotype) and some juvenile specimens. As such, little was known about the species as a whole. Later collections around Boa Vista found males that looked like A. gibbiceps. Some of the specimens were actually a population of A. gibbiceps. Based on these, Kullander synonymized A. roraimae with A. gibbiceps. At the turn of the century, hobbyists/collectors collected a gibbiceps-like species in Guyana and the Rio Uraicoera near Boa Vista. These fish had a different pattern of dark markings on the body and slightly different finnage. The 2 forms/species can be separated by:

A. gibbicep: (wild specimens) diagonal abdominal bars formed from the vertical bars below the lateral band; male dorsal fin serrated, often with extended anterior spines; caudal fin typically shows distinct horizontal stripes and well developed extensions, top and bottom.

A. roraimae: fine diagonal striations across the abdomen - including the area between the vertical bars - below the lateral band; male dorsal fin barely serrated, with anterior spines not noticeably elongated; caudal fin shows finer horizontal stripes with short extension, top and bottom.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Wow thanks a lot. I will have to wait a few months before making a positive ID I find it interesting how the A. wapisana were almost always found in groups, sometimes in shoals. even in the aquarium they are always together in the open, while the gibbiceps/roraimae stay in the driftwood. I ussually dont see apistogrammas swimming around in large groups with no cover. A. wapisana is the smallest cichlid right? or does that title belong to apistogrammoides?

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Huddy The Collector

As usual, thanks Hudson for the wonderful photographic images and cool Apistos (and other fish) you have access to! It's wonderful that you share them here and on your blog. I think the next time I am down in South America, I am totally paying yourself a visit. This will also give me a chance to finally meet your parents.

Thanks again!

Gary A.MacDonald

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. wapisana is one of the smallest known cichlid. It does not get more than 1¾"/35mm (female being the larger sex). My A. wapisana first spawned in a bare quarantine tank. The eggs were hung on the glass in a corner.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Cool! What is the smallest known cichlid? Apistogrammoides pucallpensis(?)? Thanks a lot Gary I deffinately would love to meet you! Btw in a few years I will be moving to Mozambique. Not an april fools day joke

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
I finally found a TFH article on A. wapisana written by Anthony Conrad, I found it very interesting especially since I had been to 2 of the four listed type localities and found them in abundance. My A. wapisana are doing well and I will fish monday at Itapiranga. I have fished there before and I expect to catch A. agassizi and A. cf pertensis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….