• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto. cacatuoides

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Most people know that a "triple red" is one with red/black pattern on all the unpaired fins. How about one with the pattern on the pelvic fins as well. Even the females show full patterns on all unpaired fins.

388532_2433501116006_1206021231_32042239_52528112_n.jpg

378530_2433502756047_1206021231_32042240_2069093078_n.jpg

401878_2433507356162_1206021231_32042243_1566085941_n.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
Pretty cool, but I'm waiting for the bubble-eye double-tail lion-head balloon glo-cacatuoides.
Do your females get red in the fins around the same age as males, or not until they're 1.5-2+ yrs old?

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Pretty cool, but I'm waiting for the bubble-eye double-tail lion-head balloon glo-cacatuoides.
Do your females get red in the fins around the same age as males, or not until they're 1.5-2+ yrs old?

Are you guys making fun of my fish?! Sexing them is very hard when small since both males and females have the patterns on all unpaired fins. The red on the ventral fins does not show up until the males get larger.

gerald

5 Year Member
Nah - your fish are lovely and I have no problem with selecting to enhance more-or-less natural colors. I'm making fun of what "ornamental fish" breeders are PROBABLY trying to do to cacatu's, like what they've done to rams and discus.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yur welcome--I told the guy it's normal---it's my color form and I'M proud of them--aint none here in the States that are better. You cant judge the sex just on the colors alone--the dead giveaway is the fact that the doubted fish--has no dorsal lappets--that's a trait I look for and I have some males with lappets that dont stand straight up--- and wave in the current.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
A strain of triple red cacatuoides I got from Germany (possibly sibling strain to Dave's) have the ventral fins show up with red now and again but only on one fin at a time! And it could be either the left or right side but I've yet to have one have both fins get the color and patern. It reminds me of a nice male A. sp. Black Chin were wild fish can have the black and yellow patern like that.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Who'd ya get them from--Mine originally came from Uwe and then Frank and Nadja Wilhelm mixed in. This last year I got some from Joachim in Holland

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Since these are my fish, I can tell you all that they are NOT from Dave. These are all from oversea. They may look like Dave's since they probably came from the same sources.

The pelvic patterns usually are only on one of the two but I do have males with both pelvic patterns. The pattern on the pelvic develops late too. The same male in the picture has its pattern extended further down the pelvic already.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Unlike someone who shall remain nameless , I take no credit in enhancing this strain. However, I have noticed that 1 out of 20 males has patterns on both pelvic fins. These would have all unpaired fins fully covered in patterns as well. Truely a spectacular looking fish and none to its equal anywhere. I would also get males with patterns on either pelvic fin at a ratio of 1 out of 5. These would also have full patterns on all unpaired fins. The rest would be the typical "Triple-Red" with some patterns on all unpaired fins and clear pelvic. In a nutshell, there are three grades of "Triple-Red".

Obviously, I continue to select the 1st grade males for breeding in hope of improving the 1/20 ratio.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Ok..here is the proof on the "Triple-Red" with full patterns on all unpaired fins and both pelvic fins. Both pictures are of the same male. He is just over 3 months old. Surely the best looking "Triple-Red" you will ever see. I will clean the glass abit next time and get some even better pictures of a tank full of them.

triple-red_male1.jpg

triple-red_male2.jpg

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ok..here is the proof on the "Triple-Red" with full patterns on all unpaired fins and both pelvic fins. Both pictures are of the same male. He is just over 3 months old. Surely the best looking "Triple-Red" you will ever see. I will clean the glass abit next time and get some even better pictures of a tank full of them.

triple-red_male1.jpg

triple-red_male2.jpg

Well that's nice can I buy some Mark.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Do any of your triple reds show darker coloration in the body, with hints of greens and blues?

I took the pictures in the dark with a strong direct flash, that's why the body color looks washout. Not the best pictures but still show off the intense patterns and colors of the fin. Oh, and they are not from Mark.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Personally I wish people ignored colour all together and just bred for healthy fish with a good body shape, but I think a few people have bred A. cacatuoides with colour on all their fins.

These were bred by a UK Apistogramma keeper "Steve1572", who keeps and breeds a wide range of Apistogramma species and forms.

imag1208.jpg
From <http://www.britishcichlid.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4840>

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….