• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

75 gal A. schwarzkinn "black chin" Setup

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Thanks to Aquatic Clarity for getting me these beautiful Apistogramma schwarzkinn "black chin" just before Thanksgiving! I've had four F1 females waiting for a male for almost a year (they had killed their other male mate), and was worried they'd never come around again!

Got these guys setup in a 75 gallon tank; two males and six females (two wild, four F1). Currently soaking a ton of crab apple branches to throw in there as well.
Aschwarzkinn003-1.jpg

The dominant male:
Aschwarzkinn012.jpg

Aschwarzkinn014.jpg

Females (three of them are colored up real nicely like they may be guarding eggs already)
Aschwarzkinn013.jpg

Aschwarzkinn010-1.jpg

Aschwarzkinn008-1.jpg

Sub-dominant male
Aschwarzkinn007-1.jpg

ApistoNerd23

I agree! I really like the look of those leaves. What all do you have in there? I see Oak, I think but not sure what else...

Lookin good!

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Two different kinds of oak; pin oak (the pointy ones, which I had previously sworn off, but an oak leaf shortage in the park behind the house convinced me to use these from my neighbor's yard), and the broad leafed oak which I normally use, but I am not sure on the exact species of tree they come from.

Normally, the broad leafed trees leave their leaves on for about a month after they've died off; but this year, they went from brown to off the tree in a matter of two days. I don't like picking up leaves off the ground, just because I'm not sure what has possibly gotten on them...I'd rather pick them off of the tree when they are brown and crisp. No such luck this year for some reason.

jaafaman

...Normally, the broad leafed trees leave their leaves on for about a month after they've died off; but this year, they went from brown to off the tree in a matter of two days. I don't like picking up leaves off the ground, just because I'm not sure what has possibly gotten on them...I'd rather pick them off of the tree when they are brown and crisp. No such luck this year for some reason.
Lack of sufficient rainfall prevented the normal build-up of sugars and carbohydrates in the leaves, resulting in no vibrant colors and a quick discard from the branch.

If it's dry again this coming year, plan on the same thing happening next season. Some areas have been without rain for so long (like Maryland/West Virginia borders) that it's already too late for some species and they'll end up succumbing anyway...

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
1 thing I forgot to mention about this setup is that the flower pots are standing up side down with a bowl cut out of the bottom. The schwarzkinn seem to prefer them that way rather than half pots on their side.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Breeding success! I believe this particular female is one of the F1s. What's also pretty exciting is that two other females are yellow'd up real nice and guarding clay pots. Enjoy this video; not much excitement, but you can see the fry and the mom.

[video=youtube;FMDSHoJavQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMDSHoJavQg[/video]

[video=youtube;MrifABZkGAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrifABZkGAM[/video]

[video=youtube;DmQtkprhMXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmQtkprhMXs[/video]

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
New development...three females with free-swimming fry. This could get interesting!
Setup three 10 gallons with water from this tank, with the intentions of stealing a few fry from each female. I know. I'm mean.

[video=youtube;6GJfCKazuZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GJfCKazuZY[/video]

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Two more females with newly free swimming fry in the tank today. Got some new pics and an interesting video of one of the moms moving her fry.
Stole 75% or so of the previous spawns (about 50 fry) and have them in grow-out tanks; there are still quite a few of the original babies in the tank, one set is being cared for by the mom, the other set, I believe has been kicked out.

Apistogrammaschwarzkinnblackchin051.jpg

Apistogrammaschwarzkinnblackchin050.jpg

Apistogrammaschwarzkinnblackchin045.jpg

[video=youtube;yzYtRmOLTJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzYtRmOLTJE[/video]

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Babies in the grow out tank are getting some size to them now, while the parents in the 75 continue to spawn; over and over and over again.

Apistogrammaschwarzkinnblackchin052.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….