• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Presentation of my new fish

shoshone

Hi all,
i present you a couple Apistogramma panduro and a couple Apistogramma sp vielfleck.
All are f1

Mr panduro
02410.jpg

05210.jpg

Ms panduro
02012.jpg

04412.jpg

Mr sp vielfleck
02111.jpg

01910.jpg

Ms sp vielfleck
02810.jpg

02710.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Were your A. sp. Vielfleck sold as Vielfleck or with some other name? They don't really show all of the spots typical of the Vielfleck population of A. sp. Xingu. They look more like the "A. sp. aff. Peixoto" population of A. sp. Xingu. I can be wrong, of course, the body markings can change depending on the mood of the fish.

henkh

5 Year Member
Nice pics and nice habitat for the apisto's. Was a moment doubting if ms vielfleck was a miss or maybe juvenile male....

shoshone

The sold name was sp. vielfleck.
This photos were taken two days after arrival, maybe a stress coloration.
I'll watch if spots appears in the next weeks and i ll send news photos.
Little question: the two species having the same water need, right ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You can ask the same for many species. Why did scientist describe A. borellii (A. reitzigi, A. rondoni, A. aequipinnis, A. ritense) under different names? We can do the same with A. bitaeniata (A. kleei, A. klausewitzi, A. sweglesi). If scientist don't recognize different populations as the same species, should we expect exporters/hobbyists to be more experienced? All of the forms of A. sp. Xingu show different spotting patterns and were collected from different locations along the lower Rio Xingu. It is a polychromatic species.

shoshone

I agree with your arguments Mike.
Despite this, I hope one day we will have a ranking of Apistogramma simpler, more accurate. As the species name followed by a different name specifying what chromatic-form it is a question for example.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My species list on TomC's site: http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?PageId=118 is my attempt to list all of the species and 'forms' that might be separate species. I also include many of the common names used for the same species/form. Is it 100% accurate? Probably not. Will everyone agree with my list? Absolutely not! Still, it is an attempt based on decades of study and experience with this genus. I am always willing to discuss my ideas with anyone - beginner, experienced, or professional.

shoshone

i have seen this work before.
And it's a remarquable and a great work Mike.
It's easy to find in this table. By cons it's more difficult to find on a lost page (?)

shoshone

Hi all,

News photos with natural light. We can see the real colors of vielfleck/sp. aff. peixoto

00610.jpg

01210.jpg

00713.jpg

And the panduro

00911.jpg

00110.jpg

00213.jpg

00410.jpg

I love the panduro female

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your A. sp. Xingu still look like the 'A. sp. aff. Peixoto' form to me. The 'Vielfleck' form should show at least 3 - 4 long horizontal rows of spots along the flanks, as well as many dark brown blotch on the head. Your fish show few spots on the flanks and almost no blotches on the head.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….