• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. agassizii spawning behavior

prototop

5 Year Member
So my agassizii's are at it again. They have tried a few times, but no luck. The first time the female guarded her site a couple of days, the next she stood guard for five days. And the second time she beat up the male and he hid away for almost two weeks.

Right now she is trying to get the male to follow her into the spot she has choosen. It's inbetween the background and a redmoore-root. I have seen him go in once, but I dont think he did his 'duty', because she keeps coming back for more.

A few pics:

akvarie087jiji.jpg

akvarie214.jpg

akvarie123jiji.jpg

On that last one you can see her at the enterance to the hole. She generally seems to have a hard time getting him in there.

If anyone else have any experience seeing this, please do tell, so that I have something to compare it with.

prototop

5 Year Member
The male dosent need to go in...

True, but my suspicions about him not being very interested seems to have turned out to be the case. She seems to have given up and now they just swim around, occasionally having small fights over dominance. Maybe they just need af few more 'dryruns' before getting it right. It's just a bit frustrating.

arodg12

If your water parameters are correct, then maybe you could try moving stuff around in the tank for a new spawn site, which would also change territories..but that's my two cents

prototop

5 Year Member
My females got aggressive and chased the male around. He paniced and flew into the frame of the aquarium, which knocked him silly. He did not recover.

Just now, one of the females was courting the other and started to lay eggs. The other one then ate most of them. So at least the eggs dont go to waste.

Gonna see if I can find a new male. They better not kill him!

maybe you could try moving stuff around

Toke your advise; Put in an exstra couple of bogwood pieces. Should help to reduce line-of-sight further and create some new boundaries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….