• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto collecting in Itapeaçu

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are no reports of A. cacatuoides occurring below Manacapuru (Rio Solimões system upstream of Manaus). In the Solimões it is found on both sides of the river (Rio Juruá and the Rio Manacapuru. It is also found in Río Algodon in Peru, a tributary of the Río Putumayo, that is called the Rio Icá in Brazil. It might occur in this system, too. The Amazon above the Rio Negro has had a very different hydrological history than the Amazon below the Negro.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Great report and great catch Hudson. Now, from Maryland, USA, which bus should I take to get to the same spot where you collected A. cf. salpinction?

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Julio
Lol! I wish I knew! Thank you.

I just spent some time on your blog Hudson. Very cool. May I add it to my blog roll on www.tedsfishroom.com?
Of course! May I add yours to mine? Thank you for commenting, greatly apreciated and yes I agree especially a coral snak that small. Since the are rearfanged snakes I am thinking it would be very difficult.

There are no reports of A. cacatuoides occurring below Manacapuru (Rio Solimões system upstream of Manaus). In the Solimões it is found on both sides of the river (Rio Juruá and the Rio Manacapuru. It is also found in Río Algodon in Peru, a tributary of the Río Putumayo, that is called the Rio Icá in Brazil. It might occur in this system, too. The Amazon above the Rio Negro has had a very different hydrological history than the Amazon below the Negro.
Okay, thank you. What other apistos are around the manaus area? Any aggies? It would be nice to know what to look for.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
How far from Manaus? Upstream on the Solimões from Manaus (Manacapuru area) you can find A. agassizii, A. hippolytae, A. sp. Gelbwangen, A. sp. Erdfresser, A. regani. Downstream along the Amazon (Rio Urubu and Rio Uatumá) you can find A. cf. agassizii (Netz), A. cf regani, A. cf. geisleri, A. cf. sp. Branco (Fire Red), A. cf. pertensis. The opposite side of the Amazon has different species, too.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Cool. I coudnt find any pics for the A. branco but it seems like there are three main groups, pertensis, regani and agassiziis. What about creeks in the jungle around here. Any paucisquamis?
Thank you.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
How far from Manaus do you want to go? A. paucisquamis occurs above the Annavilhanas Archipelego. A. cf. sp. Branco (Fire Red) is a population of A. sp. Branco (=A. cf. pulcher Branco) from the upper Rio Branco. You forgot that species of the bitaeniata- and steindachneri-group also occur in the area around Manaus.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Oh yes, the steindachneri group is EVERY where by far the most common apisto here. I have caught gibbiceps in the taruma water shed system. Thank you for answering my questions.
My target species is A. sp. branco, A. agassizii, A cf. pulchra, and erdfresser. Any true pertensis? Of course I could always find a new species lol

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. iniridae only occurs in the upper Río Orinoco system of Colombia. Unless you have some escapees from an exporter, it's unlikely that you have the true A. iniridae. The true A. pertensis occurs in the lower Rio Negro and possibly nearby rivers to the east.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Here are some pics of my catches.
Apistogramma regani
Copyof20113032.jpg

Copyof20113092.jpg

Copyof20113101.jpg

Laetecara fulvipinnis
Copyof20113065.jpg

Copyof20113014.jpg

Copyof20112964.jpg

Copyof20113057.jpg

And the apisto you may or may not have been waiting for, what is probably Apistogramma Salpinction
Copyof20113129.jpg

Copyof20113126.jpg

Copyof20113116.jpg

Copyof20113094.jpg

Copyof20113077.jpg

Copyof20113044.jpg

I think this is a female A. salpinction
Copyof20113131.jpg

HaakonH

5 Year Member
It's awesome to see A.salpinction alive, what a great find, Hudson :) And the regani is really nice too!

About that Laetacara, how is it not L.curviceps...? I thought L.fulvipinnis was less blue and more brownish, occured further north and according to the description has "caudal fin without conspicuous pattern of light dots".
Haakon

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, it is L. curviceps. I really didn't do more than a quick look at the original photos of your Laetacara. At the time I thought that these were collected north of the Amazon (they were not). I automatically thought of L. fulvipinnis since it is a species from north of the Amazon. Your latest photos of A. cf. salpinction prominently display the 'H' shaped caudal spot at the base of the caudal fin that is diagnostic of A. salpinction. If it had been collected north of the Amazon I'd not even consider it anything other than this species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, I would call it "A. cf. salpintion" because it comes from a very different collecting location from the type specimens. Until we have more collecting (distribution) data, I would keep it that way.

Tom C

5 Year Member
I am going to manacapuru tomorrow I hope to catch pbass and apistos.

Wow!
You might find
- the quite rare A. cf. cacatuoides (Manacapuru) (A 203).
- A. bitaeniata (A 214) from Manacapuru is described like this in Koslowski (2002): it "....exhibit particularly broad cross-bands in the caudal fin, interrupted by extremely highly reflective light zones, .......The males have long dorsal fin lappets and caudal fin extensions. The nape and back are black and not red; at larger sizes the caudal fin pattern described above is still prominently displayed. Other features are the unusual caudal peduncle markings and the intense metallic bands above and below the lateral band that are reminiscent of those on A. paucisquamis. The back, lateral and abdominal bands, along with the metallic bands in between them, extend a little way into the caudal fin.
- A. agassizii. Steindachner originally described the species, with Lago Manacapuru as the type locality, as Geophagus agassizii. The first specimens imported for the hobby were the white/blue color form, which are identical to the Manacapuru form.
- A. hippolytae,
- A. regani,
- A. cf. pertensis,
- probably A. sp. "Erdfresser/Earth-eater"
- and "as usual" I'm sure you'll find something new and exciting!

Good luck, Hudson!

Big G

5 Year Member
Shame bud!! Better look next time!! You'll get them in the end I'm sure?

Regards
G!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….