• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New, great article from Mike Wise!

Tom C

5 Year Member
I have the pleasure to introduce Mike Wise's latest work: An illustrated guide to the understanding of the Apistogramma species-groups.

Mike informs and teaches us, and pulling from his vast knowledge on the subject Apistogramma, every day. His last article is a little gem; in simple terms he explains us what to look for, and the magnificent drawing illustrations makes it possible for all of us to learn. Thank you very much, Mike!:)

Mike Wise: A DESCRIPTION OF APISTOGRAMMA SPECIES-GROUPS

Melanochromis

In my humble opinion, I think this article will be extremely useful to many people. Very comprehensive.
Congratulations and thank you to both Mike Wise and Tom C very, very, very much !!

JasonC

5 Year Member
Excellent read. Helped me a lot in regards as to what to look for when you guys are talking identification. Would be nice if you could list the individual species in the complexes/groups though. Thanks again for all the hard work to put this together!!

Just as a point of curiosity, is there a repository online of the descriptions of the described species of Apistos?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I will be updating the apisto species list (by species-groups) on Tom's site in the near future. I just need to make sure I have all of the species/forms/populations up to date. Stay tuned for coming attractions. Thanks, Tom, for hosting this "little" paper. Since we lost the ASG's Apisto-gram, we haven't had anywhere to publish rather long papers. My 'paleogeography and apisto distribution' paper may be a bit late because I need the time to build a presentation for the ACA. It should be done by July.

JasonC

5 Year Member
Speaking of ACA, what is your planned topic? I work only a few miles from the hotel the convention is being hosted at and, based on your paper, coming to hear your talk would definitely be worth the price of admission.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, I suggested "The paleogeography of South America and its effects on distribution of Apistogramma species-groups", but Ted suggested something a bit lighter.:) Seems that Dr. Römer tried this once and people were either sitting with a glazed look in their eyes or leaving the premises. I'm thinking of something like "21st century apistos: the new, novel, and unavailable" - a discussion and photos of the 70 or so apistos found in the past 11 years. If anyone has other suggestions, I'd be happy to consider them.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that a talk that highlights phyiscal identifiers between the different groups of Apistos would be good. It would be photograph-driven too.

Speaking of Mike Wise at the ACA.... Apistogramma.com has committed to picking up as much of Mike's travel expenses as we can in exchange for the right to promote him as the 'Apistogramma.com Speaker'. So far we are half way to a goal of $500. Thanks to everyone who has already donated! There is a donate button on the top menu bar of every page, and a 'progress bar' on the forum homepage to show how much we have raised. If you would like to support getting Mike to the ACA, please donate.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that a talk that highlights phyiscal identifiers between the different groups of Apistos would be good. It would be photograph-driven too.

Do you mean something like the paper on Tom's web site, but with photos of representative species? This is possible. I had a program like that, which I gave about 20 years ago at an ACA convention. It was called "The art of apisto ID".

Speaking of Mike Wise at the ACA.... Apistogramma.com has committed to picking up as much of Mike's travel expenses as we can in exchange for the right to promote him as the 'Apistogramma.com Speaker'. So far we are half way to a goal of $500. Thanks to everyone who has already donated! There is a donate button on the top menu bar of every page, and a 'progress bar' on the forum homepage to show how much we have raised. If you would like to support getting Mike to the ACA, please donate.

Thanks to Ted and everyone who has helped with my costs. It's greatly apprecieated.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Do you mean something like the paper on Tom's web site, but with photos of representative species? This is possible. I had a program like that, which I gave about 20 years ago at an ACA convention. It was called "The art of apisto ID".

Yes, that is what I am thinking of.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Still haven't completed reading the article, but what I've read and been able to make sense of so far, it is really great. Superb job Mike. The dictionary is getting a workout today!

gerald

5 Year Member
Wow, I've been looking for something like this for 20 years. Thanks Mike (and Tom).
BTW - Fine with me if you give your ACA talk a Pretty Fishies sort of title, and then talk about Paleo-Biogeorgaphy anyway!!
And a little blackwater fish physiology component would make it even more interesting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….