• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.viejita or A.macmasteri

Mark C

Need help with id i was sold this pair as A.viejita but im not sure if there true viejita as the males in my books seem to have more slender bodies .My male has a more slender body than my A.macmasteri in another tank but im still not sure
IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

Hope these images work and are clear enough for ID .

Melanochromis

Most apistogramma keepers in my country would instantly call the fish in the picture "viejita".
This misunderstanding, if it is, seems to be very widespread and at the international level now.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would say that most apisto keepers are in error. Most apisto keepers worldwide have never seen the true A. viejita alive. In the 35 years of keeping dwarfs, I've seen live specimens of A. viejita only once. Once you see it, it is obvious that it is different from A. macmasteri. I suggest that people interested in understanding the difference between the two species should read Koslowski (2002) or my description at the Cichlid Room Companion web site. The following is a Q&D (quick and dirty) aid:

If it doesn't have a bright red edge on the dorsal fin - it isn't A. viejita.
If it has caudal fin extensions - it isn't A. viejita.
If it is deep bodied (high backed) - it isn't A. viejita.

Mark C

Thx Mike for confirming what i feared .If youve only seen them once in 35 years of keeping dwarfs ,Im thinking the breeder that thinks he has viejita for me is wrong and doubt i would be able to get them here in Australia so far from native habitat ,when your so much closer to SA than me .Im not to happy about this as always wanted some viejita .After i hook the fry out of tank the two commercial viejita (macmasteri) will be going in the big tank and i will be looking for some more Apisto to breed ,hope i can find some true forms of something because i realy dont want to breed hybrids or man made strains .

briztoon

5 Year Member
Hi Mark.

Many commercially bred A. macmasteri are imported in to Australia from both Germany and Thailand under the name of of A. viejita. Most LFS would have no idea how to tell the difference between the two species and will only sell the fish under the name it came in to the country. Not all hobbiests in Australia join international forums (or even are online) and it is near impossible to explain to these hobbiests that certain species are not what they think they are.

You want to have a good "discussion" with some hobbiests, try telling them that there are no true Green terrors in Australia and that Andinoacara rivulatus (ex Aquidens rivulatus) is not actually the true Green Terror either. P.S. we only have Andinoacara sp. "Gold saum" in Australia.

In case you have not heard, the import regulations will be changing towards the end of the year (AQIS will be instituting batch testing of all aquarium fish imports) and it's unlikely many (any) apistos will be imported in to the country after this.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It isn't a lot better in the UK, our local Maidenhead Aquatics often have both "A. viejita" and A. macmasteri for sale as pairs. The "viejita" are usually about £3-5 a pair more expensive (about £15 - 18 a pair), but all the fish are macmasteri and 95% of them are males.

cheers Darrel

briztoon

5 Year Member
haha Darrel,

Don't start mentioning prices mate. Let's put things in to perspective, most of my dwarves cichlid pairs cost 2 to 4 times more than the brand new tank they go in. Actually I can buy a brand new a 24"x12"x15" Sera brand tank, 50 watt Jager heater, a very good spunge filter, 5 kgs of quartz sand, branchy driftwood and some plants and then go spend the same money on a nice pair of apistos or pelvicachromis to go in the new setup.

Or I can buy a 4cm L046 for AUS$1500.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I think that A. macmasteri is a prettier fish than A. viejita. Both species are found within 50 Km of each other in the wild. The reason we get wild macs is because they are found on the outskirts of Villavicencio, Colombia. The city is protected by government police, so collectors are relatively safe. Go 50 Km outside of Villavicencio and you are in FARC & cocaine country. The FARC rebels are on the wain, but not necessarily the cocaine producers. You could fly into Villavicencio and drive to the type locality with ease. Nine times out of ten you would have no real problems. It's the tenth time that I'd worry about. When everything stabilizes in the area, we should be able to get A. viejita if we want it. Personally, I would prefer going just a little farther and collecting A. sp. Rotflecken/Red-flecked/"A. viejita" Colorform II!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….