• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cycling new tank

Hmoobthor

so i just setup a 5 gallon acrylic today.

I just took my canister filter fine filter media and put it right in the tank and run the filter.

My question, is how long until it cycle. I am going for 1 week then adding my betta.

CopabX

Don't rush. Give it a a little more time like 2 weeks, 3 on the safe side. You can use guppies as test subjects and also to accelerate the bacteria growth with their poo after 1 week. If the guppies stay alive at the week 3 mark, then it is safe for other fish. Just feed the guppies to some other fish or see if they get along with your betta. If it's a female, then no worries. If it's a male, see how it works out. Your betta may just stare and let the guppies do their business.

Hmoobthor

Don't rush. Give it a a little more time like 2 weeks, 3 on the safe side. You can use guppies as test subjects and also to accelerate the bacteria growth with their poo after 1 week. If the guppies stay alive at the week 3 mark, then it is safe for other fish. Just feed the guppies to some other fish or see if they get along with your betta. If it's a female, then no worries. If it's a male, see how it works out. Your betta may just stare and let the guppies do their business.

how about if i just get some ghost shrimp and put them in right away cause i need waste for the bacteria? I don't wanna get some fish then later can't keep them.

ghost shrimp and golden apple snail is what i want to keep in there. but i think the snail need cycle tank ...am i right?

sorry to add but i am using a cycle media from 55g tank into the new 5 gallon so 3 week seem long...

I did some reading and they say to squeeze the dirty fine media into the new tank ( 5 gallon) and that will instant cycle your tank cause it smaller and don't need that much bacteria. Right now that big circle filter media is take a bit of space.

more advice would be great...i am going to get some ghost shrimp tomrrow so the bacteria wont starve.

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes. Once you've got one well-cycled tank, you can quickly establish more tanks by simply moving filters or cycled filter media to another tank. I always keep a few spare sponge or box filters running in my more crowded tanks, so I can move them to new tanks when needed. I also run them in coolers when travelling several days with fish. Any animal that eats and poops, or any decaying protein (rotting fish food) will make ammonia for growing nitrifying bacteria.

I did some reading and they say to squeeze the dirty fine media into the new tank ( 5 gallon) and that will instant cycle your tank cause it smaller and don't need that much bacteria. Right now that big circle filter media is take a bit of space. more advice would be great...i am going to get some ghost shrimp tomrrow so the bacteria wont starve.

Hmoobthor

Yes. Once you've got one well-cycled tank, you can quickly establish more tanks by simply moving filters or cycled filter media to another tank. I always keep a few spare sponge or box filters running in my more crowded tanks, so I can move them to new tanks when needed. I also run them in coolers when travelling several days with fish. Any animal that eats and poops, or any decaying protein (rotting fish food) will make ammonia for growing nitrifying bacteria.

I went out to get some ghost shrimp but petsmart was out. I then bought one golden mystery snail that was inside its shell and I thought it was dead or something...got it home and did the drip acclimation and to my surprise it move around.

I am going back on Wednesday to get those shrimp cause that is their delivery fish day. I'll call in to first before I drove.

As for the cycle dirty filter media in the 5 gallon....can i remove it and toss it away now?? I give it a good squeeze this morning and gunk fly everywhere. The dirty filter has been in the tank for more than 24+ hours now. The 5 gallon filter itself is brown and look gunky and dirty now too.

eageraquarist

5 Year Member
I always use Tetra Safe Start when I dont have spare filters. It really does a good job. I took an completely new tank added the safe start and put in sensitive fish (dicrossus, apistos, etc.) in a few days. Other wise cycling requires several weeks and sacrificial fish. Its a good product for "spur of the moment" tank setups that cant wait.

Hmoobthor

I always use Tetra Safe Start when I dont have spare filters. It really does a good job. I took an completely new tank added the safe start and put in sensitive fish (dicrossus, apistos, etc.) in a few days. Other wise cycling requires several weeks and sacrificial fish. Its a good product for "spur of the moment" tank setups that cant wait.

thanks for answering. I toss the old media away. Tank should be good now that it has alot of gunk and bacteria.

Got a apple snail and 3 amaon shrimp in there now.

Also I a, look to buying a foam/sponge that will go into the cartridge compartment of the filter so that I can reuse it over and over without waste money. Will have to mod it a little bid and order the item at the end of the month.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I always keep a few spare sponge or box filters running in my more crowded tanks, so I can move them to new tanks when needed.
I do as well, I also never change my sponges I still have some Poret type ones that are at least 15 years old. If you give them a good rinse, but don't go too wild with squeezing them, they should last pretty well eternally.

Cheers Darrel

CopabX

I tend to use fish and not shrimp because once I set a tank up, moved my fish, and everything but a few killies, the plants, shrimps, and crabs died. I think i got hit by some annoying bacteria... Funny thing though is that the gravel and filter fluffy stuff actually came from a tank I've had for a couple years.

Hmoobthor

I tend to use fish and not shrimp because once I set a tank up, moved my fish, and everything but a few killies, the plants, shrimps, and crabs died. I think i got hit by some annoying bacteria... Funny thing though is that the gravel and filter fluffy stuff actually came from a tank I've had for a couple years.

Ya i did that to my 55g when i move from 20L.

Most of my fish survive the move but only a few die ...I know what the problem was. It was how i acclimated my fish. I just kind of net them out of the holding tank and into the tank.

I since found the drip method and have a very high rate of survivor. Even the most sensitive algae eater oto catfish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….