• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma baenschi spawning.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Heres one of my all time favourite Apistogrammas, A.baenschi..

I have several females and only one male, luckily for him hes being rotated between all three females and its only taking a week or so before he spawns with each in turn, i have 4 broods of fry of varying sizes/ages and this is the latest spawn, the female brought them out of the cave about 10 minutes before these pics were taken.
DSCF8759.jpg

DSCF8802.jpg

DSCF8799.jpg

DSCF8790.jpg

Yuri

Hi Steve,

They are stunning as all your fish. I'm looking forward to have a few juveniles from you if possible.

BTW Yesterday I had a nice batch of A. sp. Red-Dot fries first time appeared from their cave. I was really impressed, since this pair (male and female) looks very young. They are ones from those 5 juveniles I have got from you on 20/02/2011... There is another female starts to attract the male :)

Thanks again for the nice fish...

Apistoinca

I had been searching so hard for this species... You are so lucky and they breed for you... I'm from Singapore are you able to sell it to here... :)

Melanochromis

Nice pictures. I love Incas too!!

Your experience surprised me. I thought this was a monogamous species. They behaved like one in my tank.

Oh, and their pair bonding is such a long and painful process for me to watch. It took months for the fish to stop trying to kill each other. I had to intervene countless times before they would finally get along. This a really really mean fish. You seem to keep several females with one male, right? How do you keep them from killing each other? I would think the first female would try to eliminate her rivals and possibly the male too right after her spawn.

ste12000

5 Year Member
I had been searching so hard for this species... You are so lucky and they breed for you... I'm from Singapore are you able to sell it to here... :)

Hi, unfortunately not.. I only ship locally. Id be interested to hear how the Apistogramma hobby is in your part of the world.. I thought you would of had Baenschi available?? its a nice easy fish and bred in large numbers across the UK, i thought that would be the situation everywhere? It gos to show that whats common in one part of the world may not be common somewhere else..

nice pics thanx for sharing

No problem, its my pleasure..

Nice pictures. I love Incas too!!

Your experience surprised me. I thought this was a monogamous species. They behaved like one in my tank.

Oh, and their pair bonding is such a long and painful process for me to watch. It took months for the fish to stop trying to kill each other. I had to intervene countless times before they would finally get along. This a really really mean fish. You seem to keep several females with one male, right? How do you keep them from killing each other? I would think the first female would try to eliminate her rivals and possibly the male too right after her spawn.

I think most Apistogramma will adapt to being monogamous if kept as a pair and not given a choice, however in the wild they are anything but!! they are mostly all harem spawners and will spawn with all females within a given territory. My pairs bonded almost instantly and the male spawned with all three females with no problems at all.. In fact im sure i saw a smile of satisfaction as he lay back smoking a cigarette!!

I dont keep the A.baenschi together in the same tank, my fishrooms setup for breeding with small tanks 24x12x12(Inches) these hold one pair at a time, i have three seperate tanks holding 3 female baenschi, the male is rotated between the three tanks to spawn and then moved to the next, this lets the females raise the fry alone and in peace. All three tanks really need the fry removing now so i can start again, they have grown well in the month since spawning...

It just shows that different hobbiests have different experiences with the same fish! i dont think its a straightforward as labeling a fish monogamous just because you dont give them the choice.. most are polygamous and flit from one partner to another..

Apistoinca

In Singapore here usually they will sell agassizii, caca, veijita, macmasteri and hongsloi which is easily found... The rest of the species will have to order and might not be able to get it... I'm in love with baenschi for a long time... But local fish shop can't get it in as they said is hard to get from supplier...

Well me myself have a pair of panduro and betiniata and borelli opal... They dun seem to pair of so might get more female for them
To choose...

ste12000

5 Year Member
In Singapore here usually they will sell agassizii, caca, veijita, macmasteri and hongsloi which is easily found... The rest of the species will have to order and might not be able to get it... I'm in love with baenschi for a long time... But local fish shop can't get it in as they said is hard to get from supplier...

Well me myself have a pair of panduro and betiniata and borelli opal... They dun seem to pair of so might get more female for them
To choose...

Are most of the fish in Singapore tank bred? are there any shops or individuals who deal in wild fish? A.baenschi are often for sale from Peruvian wholesalers/exporters.. Maybe you should try to find a company that brings in a lot of wild fish and make some enquiries..

Melanochromis

I think most Apistogramma will adapt to being monogamous if kept as a pair and not given a choice, however in the wild they are anything but!! they are mostly all harem spawners and will spawn with all females within a given territory. My pairs bonded almost instantly and the male spawned with all three females with no problems at all.. In fact im sure i saw a smile of satisfaction as he lay back smoking a cigarette!!

I dont keep the A.baenschi together in the same tank, my fishrooms setup for breeding with small tanks 24x12x12(Inches) these hold one pair at a time, i have three seperate tanks holding 3 female baenschi, the male is rotated between the three tanks to spawn and then moved to the next, this lets the females raise the fry alone and in peace. All three tanks really need the fry removing now so i can start again, they have grown well in the month since spawning...

It just shows that different hobbiests have different experiences with the same fish! i dont think its a straightforward as labeling a fish monogamous just because you dont give them the choice.. most are polygamous and flit from one partner to another..

I have done that "rotating" strategy with cacatuoides, but assumed it wasn't feasible with Incas due to their general aggressiveness, difficult/violent pair bonding and supposed monogamy (which isn't the case as you've proved). I guess I have to change my mindset now.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind if I share some of my Inca pictures. They are pretty fish indeed (but very very mean).

IMG_4171s.jpg

IMG_40165.jpg

IMG_40744.jpg

IMG_40759.jpg

Apistoinca

Nice inca there...

Well most Apisto in Singapore are farm breed... Did try to ask some lfs to get it but most of them does not wanna order it as one point is the price for inca here in Singapore will cost abt 80 less demand due to price so lfs dun wanna get it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….