• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lets Talk Dicrossus

Melanochromis

It would be nice if you could find more and be able to buy 4 to 6 more.
However, 3 month old fish are not easy to sex so you may end up with the males you need.
That is why I used 5 to 6 months since they are easily sexed by then.

And I will end up with 12 females and 0 male !!
As male maculatus no longer exists these days :biggrin::biggrin:

But hopefully that isn't the case. I've been considering buying more fish just like you said if none of my current 6 is showing any male features soon.

peterK

5 Year Member
Wow that old mac looks great! Such "elderly" dwarfs aren't seen very often.
And my males:
imgp7784.jpg

imgp7768c.jpg

imgp7796.jpg

imgp7802.jpg

I was recently affraid that the dominant male is getting too aggressive. But now smaller one became active as well. Nice sight to see. Perfect fish for comeback to dwarfs:)

dwarf cichlids in Az

5 Year Member
I have had a tro of D Maculastus for over a year that I have been working with I got them to spawn for me about 3 months ago the babys have all been growing like crazy I now have them in a grow out tank with lots of live plants and driftwood they are eating well and I hopeing to sell a few of them to one of the local fish shops I also have a pair of T candi that I have spawned 2 times they seem to like my water here in Tucson

peterK

5 Year Member
I've lost my bigger male recently, probably due to congestion in his intestines.

Anyway, situation looks even better in the tank as smaller male, not being terrorized now tries to attract females all the time:)

dwarf cichlids in Az

5 Year Member
I just ordered some D filmentosus off aquabib they should here next Tuesday I have kept them in the past but have never been able to breed them I will put them inthe tank that I had the D maculastus in and see if they will spawn. I am moveing the D maculastus in to one of my show tanks for a while untill the fry are selling size.

Ttw

5 Year Member
Do you know your water parameters? I was under the impression that Arizona has hard alkaline water. Do you use an R/O unit or otherwise treat your water?

dwarf cichlids in Az

5 Year Member
My water is all R/O our water here is rather hard but you can change it by adding peat to your filter or by other means I have no trouble keeping any dwarf cichlids that I have tryed to keep here.

gerald

5 Year Member

Tom C

5 Year Member
Here's the D.maculatus from Santarem, Brazil that I used to have:
Well crap - I copied image codes every way I could, and all that's here is codes, not pics. Sorry guys - they really were pretty fish.
I think this is the pics you wanted to share with us?

4075634581_be5a8ac1f2_z.jpg

4075634337_13fdf705dc_z.jpg

4075634259_711bfc16f5_z.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
I put the sponge filter in a plastic container and put gravel on top. That way i can add other filter media: lava rock, peat, aragonite, etc. Plus, all the crap doesn't fall back into the tank when I lift the container out. Anyway, that's where she spawned.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Nice pics guys, your making me jealous with the Maculata..

My Filamentosus spawned several days ago and i managed a few pics..

Im really enjoying this thread, keep up the good work.

DSCF8625.jpg

DSCF8629.jpg

DSCF8658.jpg

DSCF8771.jpg

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi All, me again.. Ive really stoked the Dicrossus fires over on the BCA forum with a debate on whether Dicrossus can change sex!! The thread can be found here http://www.britishcichlid.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1604 and id love it if a few of you more experienced dwarf cichlid hobbiests can share your knowledge on this touchy subject.

Do Dicrossus really change sex from a fully fertile female capable of laying eggs to a male capable of fertilising a clutch of eggs?? Your thoughts and opinions would be gratefully received

ste12000

5 Year Member
Ha ha, its not a war although i do tend to upset a few people by standing up for what i believe in.. No my intention was to get more actual keepers of Dicrossus involved in the discussion, what im looking for is someone out there who has had dicrossus change sex..

It really bugs me that these rumours still persist and yet no one has ever had a female change sex into a fully fuctioning male..

peterK

5 Year Member
My D. maculatus have probably spawned - I suppose it by mood of bigger female, she has taken half of an aquarium, attacked both male and female, and had her pelvic fins coloured up nicely.
imgp8488u.jpg

But today she shows no agression, so it wasn't a successful spawn.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Steve, I know of NO PUBLISHED SCIENTIFIC PAPER that states that any Dicrossus species can change sex. Ask for references from those who believe otherwise. Papers discussing sex change in Crenicara punctulatum are still problematic since none that I know about could prove that a sexually reproductive female actually changed sex and became a sexually reproductive male. I will say that sex change might be possible, just not proven scientifically. Until controlled tests are done, then everything claimed about sex change is in limbo.

gerald

5 Year Member
IF it happens at all (in either genus), it clearly isn't a common occurrence or more aquarists would have seen it. A question of more PRACTICAL interest to aquarists might be whether Dicrossus and Crenicara sex determination has a socially-influenced component. Will two juveniles raised together have a better-than-random probability of becoming a pair (like certain killifish do)? That would be testable: Get 100 small juvies (preferably wild) and 50 ten gal tanks, place 2 in each tank randomly and see what happens. If there's NOT a social influence, then about half the tanks should end up with pairs and the other half with two of same sex.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….