• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis taeniatus Njanje

Gordon C. Snelling

5 Year Member
Here is my male all grown up. I got these from Janos last season. He looked even better than this just minutes before I got the camera out.

Pelvicachromis%20taeniatus%20Njanje2.jpg

Gordon C. Snelling

5 Year Member
After several failed spawns, I finally have gotten a good clutch. The earlier batches were all eaten prior to free swimming but these ones made. Interestingly the female did all the care of the the clutch up until free swimming, now it is the males turn. If the female ventures far from the cave he is all over her.
Pelvicachromis%20taeniatus%20Njanje%20fry9.jpg

Pelvicachromis%20taeniatus%20Njanje%20fry1.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind that these fish are well on the way to developing a mouth brooding scenario. The fry are very geared towards retreating to the males mouth as can be seen in one of the images. They constantly swarmed the male and jockeyed to get in. They reminded me of the some of the images I have seen of flocks of young tilapia retreating in to the mouth of their parents. Those that the male was able to hold were not retained for long in this case though.
Pelvicachromis%20taeniatus%20Njanje%20fry8.jpg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cool! I have seen fry hang out in the face of parents, but i have not seen that level of effort to enter a mouth before. In fact, I rarely even see Pelvicachromis species pick up wandering fry and move them closer to the brood like Apistogramma do. When kribs want to congregate their fry they flick their fins a few times and the babies come right in.

Gordon C. Snelling

5 Year Member
Thanks for the comments. This has been a very interesting fish to work with, well when he is not trying to kill something he shouldn't. The effort you see is nothing compared to what was going on, this is just the best picture I could as he and the fry were hanging out at the rear of the tank for these shots. I noticed the fin flicks and how responsive the fry are, far more so than I have seen with other cichlids. Not only the fin flicks but the poor guy has this series of actually body flicks and head shakes as well, some so violent I almost think he is having seizures.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Interesting that this is one of those translocated populations we were talking about. Has anyone else seen this behaviour in this form? Could this be a response to a new environment or is it just a fluke behaviour pattern?

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
My Njanje never showed this behavior. As Gordon was saying, my wild-caught Njanje are the parents of what he has. For a while they were spawning like clockwork, but I didn't have any success lately. Perhaps they are getting too old? I should probably try to get a pair out of the few remaining F1s that I still have. Good job, Gordon, please try to keep them going; it is such a nice taeniatus morph!

Gordon C. Snelling

5 Year Member
The male is currently the sole care giver for the fry. I was finally able to get the female separated before he killed her. As mentioned earlier up to free swimming mom was the care taker, but once the young ventured from the cave it was all on the male. I am seeing far less effort on the part of the fry to get into dads mouth now that they have been swimming for a few days. He is still pretty aggressive about keeping the young together though and when he wants to gather those that ignore his signals he goes and grabs them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….