• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

F1 Leopard Frog Plecos for sale

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Examples of my Leopard Frog Peckoltia I have for sale.
L134stock.jpg

Yes, they really are this beautiful. They only grow to about 3-1/2 inches.
They are not alga eaters but more omnivorous with a definite carnivorous leaning. They eat all sinking carnivore tablets, Spirulina and Earth Worm Sticks.
Also love frozen blood worms and live black worms.
They are 6/$240 and I guarantee live arrival if delivered via USPS Express Mail.
They aren't as shy as most small fancy plecos and they grow faster than any other pleco I know of in their size range. I am selling 1-3/8 to 1-1/2 inch specimens and they will reach 2-3/4 inches in 8 months..
They like warm water 82 to 84*F and they are peaceful. Good in Dwarf Cichlid and Discus tanks.

Also have small L333, Imperial Queen Hypancistrus 6/$150.

Alex18

5 Year Member
hi there im interested if you have any left also do you ship out to the u.k?

Alex

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's a beautiful fish (for a lori:rolleyes:). Do you know why they're called "Leopard Frog Plecos"? The pattern looks nothing like that of a real leopard frog. They're much better looking.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Alex, I can only ship my fish within the States and until I get with it and get my packaging approved by FedEx I only ship when the weather permits.

Mike, I did not give L134 their common name. You know how creative peddlers can be when it comes to naming fish. I suppose the plecos have a frog-like appearance. I know I have described some Hypancistrus as more frog-like looking than some others. Only the juveniles less than 5 months old have a fairly even banded pattern. After that their bands begin to break up into random patterns of dark brown spots and stripes on a yellow background.
They are probably the most attractive of all the dwarf fancy plecos with only Zebras being the more striking fish. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than Zebra plecos. My largest breeding males are barely 3-3/4" Total length; maybe only 3-5/8" I have a lot of them(F1's) that are 2"
Last year I couldn't fill all the orders I received but then the economy crashed and people cut back spending money on fairly expensive fish. This year everyone asks for the Hypancistrus de joure, L260.
I breed L260 but I only have 3 pairs that put out 10 fry per spawn a few times each winter so far so I am still keeping my first bred until i have at least 30 for future breeding stock. Everyone wants L260 that can't afford H. zebra. I saw some 1" L260 sell for $75 each on aquabid this last summer. I never sell my plecos that small. Mine are usually 1-1/2 to 2" when I will sell them. 1" is too small and they are too delicate if the prices are going to be high to risk selling them, IMO.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Alex18 if you are after L134 in the UK, your best bet is to join "plecoplanet", the majority of the British "L numbers" community post on there, and there are often locally bred plecs for sale, including L134.
cheers Darrel

flatriver

L134 Leopard Frog Pleco

Hello, I just registerd for The Dwarf Cichlid Connection and seen your post. I would like to know if you still have any of your L134 Leopard Frog Plecos for sale. I live in Lincoln, Nebraska and want to see about buying 6 of them. I am mainly interested in breeding Discus, but I have a pair of brown (male) and albino (female) BN plecos that have been raising more batches of fry than my Discus (they end up eating the eggs or the wrigglers). Thank you for your time and take care.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Pleco sales 2011

Hi flatriver,
I have sent you a pm.
I have been involved with Discus much longer than plecos having bred my first pair of wild Blues in 1969.
I came around to the small, fancy plecos only about 7 years ago which is when I began collecting different species groups with the hope of breeding them. This year I hope to be adding some new H. zebra, my L10a(Red Lizard Whiptail cats) and Ancistrus claro(LDA08), a 2-1/2" dwarf bushy nose species which is not as easily bred as common bushy noses but a very desirable sized fish.
I have been very fortunate with some and others have tried my patience but remain part of my projects. L260 have been a source of much frustration. I have been lucky but also have had some serious setbacks with them.
H. zebras are another species which has been troublesome for me to establish a breeding group. I haven't given up but I did take a break after losing 10 worth over $1600 due to apparently too much beef heart they ate while they shared a wild Discus pair's tank.
These small and pretty warm water pleco species make excellent tank mates and bottom feeders but seem to not be well adapted to a diet that is exceptionally rich in raw meat. Fortunately, Discus can thrive without using beef heart. I feed mine, a group of 10 F1 Nhamunda Blues, only live black worms, frozen beef heart and mostly earth worm sticks. Earth worm sticks are a staple food in my fish room. Very good for plecos and Discus with the fresh frozen and live used to help grow out young and future breeders.
I give plecos more sticks and the discus maybe more of the others but they do get sticks each day. I hope to have at least one pair of Discus by about June and some younger specimens may pair by August. Once bitten by the Discus bug it is difficult to give them up. Same with the little plecos.

Apisto_Dezign

5 Year Member
Hey AM,
I was just thinking about your fishes the other day. I'm interested in some of the LFP. How much are you selling individually? I'm also want to find out how much shipping would be as well. So no L260 yet? Do you know when I'm interested in a few since to add to my news group. Thanks.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
This thread pertained to last year and this year there are some changes.
I do not have as many Leopard Frogs as last year.
This year they are 6/$240 +$45.00 flat rate shipping to lower 48 states only plus a $10 box charge.
My boxes actually cost me $13.50 plus another $1.50 in breathable bags.
So the total for 6/L134 delivered, is $295 in 2011. Since my supplies of large L134 are limited and shipping will begin in April, you can guarantee your fish by making a $50 deposit.
What few wild L134 I have seen available listed for $50 to $60 each plus shipping.

I have plenty of larger L333 so no worries about getting as many as you want.
The total as delivered cost for 6/L333 will be $205.00 this year.

I will not sell fewer than six plecos per order. I will, however, allow my customers to choose some of each species as long as the total is 6 fish. Just divide the cost of the fish. L134 are $40 each and L333 are $25 each plus a flat rate of $55 which covers shipping and some of my costs for my shipping materials.

I use paypal and I will exchange all my direct contact information via pm so we can conclude our deals directly without misunderstandings of your particular needs.
Some customers ask me to send the fish to their place of work.
My default policy is on the USPS Express mail form, I check and sign the box on the form that allows delivery without a signature.

It is just the beginning of when my L134 typically begin to breed, at least as they have for the past 3 years but until I get some first results, I do not count my chickens before they hatch. I normally sell fish I have bred the previous season so they may be 9 to 12 months old. Last year I was able to get some of my then 2 year old females to spawn with my old wild males and they contributed some small spawns. I had accidentally removed one of my old wild females hiding in a piece of wood. This reduced how many L134 I managed to raise last year compared to my first two successful breeding seasons. My original wild L134 breeders arrived at young adult sizes but did not spawn for me for their first time until I had kept them for 2-1/2 years.
It is not entirely clear to me why I have been as successful at producing fairly good numbers of L134 since I know other accomplished plecos breeders who have only had a single successful spawn. I have difficulty in breeding the very popular L260, Queen Arabesque pleco. It is very similar to H. zebra when it comes to their care and breeding. I take 4 steps forward then 2 steps backward. That has been my history with this species. Yet some seem to find them easier to breed than L134. In any case, L260 and H. zebra both produce small numbers of very, very slow growing fry and each is now expensive. L260 easily fetch $100 for specimens only one inch long. Not much difference from the high prices for H. zebra. I never, ever, sell plecos so small. I prefer to sell the plecos I got from the previous year's spawns.
I do this because I sell fish only the way I would like others to sell to me. I rather invest in almost a year's growth and send out good sized resilient specimens and I never deal in small fry. Far too many one inch plecos for a price similar to mine but many of these small specimens fail to adapt successfully to their new homes and if one is selling rather expensive fish I believe I have an obligation to send out fish with their delicate stages well behind them.

I need to gather up all my oldest F1 L134 and set them up in proper breeding tanks to see if I can continue to assure a future supply. My wild breeders are estimated to be 7 or 8 years old so I am beginning to be concerned how many productive years they have left. They seem to be able to breed at as little as 18 to 24 months which is easily a year or more sooner than the Hypancistrus species like H. zebra but even within the genus Hypancistrus their are some species which can begin breeding at less than 2 years old. Just none of the most desirable species.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….