• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help: Camallanus Worms?

fish-n-chips

I just this saw this thread, Joe. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and your fish that the Levamisole works and that the rest of your taenies recover.

Joe Gatchell

I just this saw this thread, Joe. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and your fish that the Levamisole works and that the rest of your taenies recover.

Thanks bud, I just noticed one of the surviving females is starting to pass a pretty good sized worm out. That's a good sign that they are dead anyhow, just have to get them out now.

Joe Gatchell

Ok, I did something pretty disgusting today, but I think it helped. I noticed the male taeniatus had passed his worms out and had a clear vent. The female had a pretty good mass that was not moving. I netted her out and took a pair of tweezers (which are now permanently "Fish Only" tweezers:) ) and pulled those little suckers out slowly one by one. I kept her out about 20 seconds at a time then dipped her back in for about 20 or so. After I was done I think I pulled about 10 worms from her vent. About an hour later I noticed she had started passing more so I did it again and got 8 or so out. I've checked her recently and have not seen any more worms passing out, I'm hopeful the main mass is clear and her digestive tract will do the rest. Will have to wait and see. She is MUCH more active after I did this.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
After I was done I think I pulled about 10 worms from her vent.... so I did it again and got 8 or so out.

That's a heap of worms. Normally they recommend not pulling the worms out because if they are still attached then pulling them out will create an internal tear and probably cause an infection. But with 18 or more worms inside she would have died anyway if you hadn't acted.
I agree with indyplanted about getting some antibiotic. It would be a real shame to lose her now.

Best of luck for a full recovery.

gerald

5 Year Member
I agree secondary infection (bacteria, protozoa) in the intestine after killing parasitic worms can be a problem. Metronidazole is good against protozoan parasites, but I don't think it does much against bacteria. Kanamycin or Minocycline are pretty good against many bacteria, but I'd wait and see if fish are recovering OK on their own before dosing. Treating for unknown bacteria or protozoa is a shot in the dark for most of us without a microbiology lab, and antibiotics can sure mess up digestion, so I'd rely on providing optimal water conditions and diet for the fish's own immune system to knock out the secondary invaders if possible.

I've used CA blackworms for many years and have never had a Camallanus problem. I get them from a worm-only farm so they are NOT harvested from fish farm waste settling ponds.

Edit: Oops my bad ... Metro does kill bacteria too!

Joe Gatchell

Been a while since I posted, just wanted to announce that I have gotten the parasites under control without losing any more fish than the one pair of taeniatus. I am Camallanus free thanks to Levamisole HCL.

indyplanted

I've used CA blackworms for many years and have never had a Camallanus problem. I get them from a worm-only farm so they are NOT harvested from fish farm waste settling ponds.

Yeah me too. but I still have somehow managed to get them few times. Its been my experience that certain fish seem more susceptible to this type of parasite. seems to me that fish that have been strained out are more likely to have issues or highly farmed fish. Again this is my observation only! glad your nasties are gone.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….