• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help: Camallanus Worms?

Joe Gatchell

I think my taeniatus may have contracted Camallanus worms. Little red hairlike things coming from the anus and slightly sunken bellies. I've just read that Panacur dewormer powdered form can be used mixed with frozen bloodworms to help this. Has anyone had any experience with this before?

dconnors

I have heard of great results with levamisole HCl, although I have no personal experience with this. If you do some looking you can find it on the net, I think maybe even aquabid...good luck, I hope you can get rid of the worms.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
For the first time in years I am worm free in the fish room. (fingers crossed)

I used a combination of levamisole and panacur100 in liquid form.

Each fish was treated at 2 -3 ppm levamisole in a bare bottom 25 ltr quarantine tank and fed a small amount of bloodworms that had been soaked for 2 hours in panacur.

After a few hours usually the worms had passed but I left them in the tank for up to 24 hours. The fish then got put into a new clean tank. I lost only 1 fish after the treatment. A female cockatoo started to badly downhill about a week later and finally died gasping and bloated. I guess a dead worm got lodged somewhere and she couldn't pass it.

Cammelanus cannot live without a host so they cannot survive dormant in gravel or an empty tank but don't take any chances and be extra careful to sterilize any nets or equipment that has been in an infected tanks.

indyplanted

HTML:
http://www.igopro-online.com/Vermisol-100-Grams-p/vermis100.htm
This worked(s) very well for me but can cause some algae bc its not pure. The pure stuff is pretty expensive and harder to get. I actually have some keyholes that have these worms again(assuming they came from black worms)and are getting treated now. these nasty worms can be frustrating because they are resistant to a lot of medicines. -Bradley

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I have heard of great results with levamisole HCl, although I have no personal experience with this.
Best of luck, they are little b*ggers. I've used levamisole successfully, you can't get it to treat fish in the UK, but it is available over the counter as a caged bird wormer.

There is a very good article about using it at "Loaches on-line" http://www.loaches.com/disease-treatment/levamisole-hydrochloride-1.

cheers Darrel

Joe Gatchell

Working on trying to find some of this stuff locally. Unfortunately we just got hammered with that blizzard and only emergency vehicles are allowed out right now. Nothing is open anyhow. I've emailed a few friends and my cousin is a veterinarian so hopefully someone will be able to get me pointed in the right direction. Really want to get this stuff taken care of. Hope I can do it without too much fish loss.

indyplanted

Joe, if you can't get some within a few days I'll mail you a few table spoons which is enough for a first dose and maybe the second one depending on how big your tank is.

Hmoobthor

I was able to get some panacur from a friend. I'd still like to order some levisol, but hopefully panacur mixed with bloodworms will buy me some time.

Those dam worm! I didn't see my thread on how to treat this bugger but my thread still existed lucky.

here you go: http://www.forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=10949

Here is the website on how to treat it and order it from: http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ (i was desperate and need it fast).

I am free of worm for about 2 month now.

If you see them, it is already too late and you need to treat your whole tank.

Panacure is a prescription only and you will not find it anywhere and you will not find HCL anywhere too. You will have to order online.

Jut order at http://www.igopro-online.com/Vermisol-100-Grams-p/vermis100.htm that indyplanted mention...its good and does the same..i just wish i got the link a little early before i order from that other website.

Cammelanus cannot live without a host so they cannot survive dormant in gravel or an empty tank but don't take any chances and be extra careful to sterilize any nets or equipment that has been in an infected tanks.

That is untrue, they deposit their egg anywhere in your tank and the egg will hatch later on. Source found is in the link provide above.

Joe Gatchell

Well, I'll be surprised if one of my females makes it through the next day. She's not looking so hot, sitting on the bottom of the tank real listless out in the open. I really hope I get this stuff under control.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
That is untrue, they deposit their egg anywhere in your tank and the egg will hatch later on. Source found is in the link provide above.

That is interesting. I have spoken to two vets about this and they agreed that the eggs wont go dormant but will always hatch and then die if they cannot find a host quickly. One did say that they may go dormant during times of extreme cold. I withdraw that comment if you have better information :)

The argument about if it requires an intermediate host continues. I dont believe it needs one but I think it can use a copepod as a temporary host if one is avaliable.

Hmoobthor

That is interesting. I have spoken to two vets about this and they agreed that the eggs wont go dormant but will always hatch and then die if they cannot find a host quickly. One did say that they may go dormant during times of extreme cold. I withdraw that comment if you have better information :)

The argument about if it requires an intermediate host continues. I dont believe it needs one but I think it can use a copepod as a temporary host if one is avaliable.

Host or no host, I was told by Charles to do a thorough cleaning and 100% WC. More information can be email to Charles in my other post on this topic. Plus he have great information on this worm and how it produce.

Joe Gatchell

One of the females died overnight. Her partner doesn't look too hot today either. Should have the levamisole tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. I think I'm going to lose one of the three pairs for sure. The other two pairs are showing worms but seem to be eating well still.

indyplanted

sorry to say but most of the time they don't bounce back once they are that noticeably sick. I'm pretty I get them from california black worms. I treat all tanks now every few months just to be sure(that get black worms). But thats kind of the price you pay to get some fish into condition to spawn. I do have to say that fish i have had get worms have also came from the same wholesaler. So it could be infestation on their end? but yeah, sorry to hear that your losing your prized fish. -Bradley

Joe Gatchell

Ok got the levamisole in the tanks! I've already noticed that the worms protruding from the fish have stopped retracting when the fish move. Now I just hope they can pass them! I fed them bloodworms and they gobbled them up, so hopefully they'll start to feel better and not die.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….