• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma mendezi sex

Ruki

5 Year Member
This fish should be female(as female I bought "her") but now I think that I have a sneaker male.
zagwozdka.jpg

zagwozdka2.jpg

If it's male it would be my second try with this species and second timewith two males and no female.... :eek:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are basicly 2 different populations in the wild. Bourdinite shows the Langstreifen/Long-stripes form that is found with A. paucisquamis. The other form, the Querstreifen/Cross-striped form, has vertical stripes in the tail (similar to paucisquamis) and doesn't occur with paucisquamis. Römer speculated that the different long-stripe A. mendezi tail patten helps prevent it accidentally crossbreeding with A. paucisquamis.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
therefore for me, it is a female.

as this one.

DSC00532.jpg

I've got a couple which I doubted whether it were two males. My female looks like this picture but with even more color. I wasn't sure untill today when I found eggs. But even now, she's not more yellow than in boirdinite picture. Not even close to the yellow female showed in the picture where she has fry.

Why doesn't she get yellow?

Yo-han

5 Year Member
We'll see. All other species I had before were yellow even before spawning. My first experience with mendezi and your probably right ;)

Yo-han

5 Year Member
She turned a beautiful yellow after the fry went freeswimming! They're swimming for a week now. Went away a few days so no food for them but they managed to survive somehow.

Even the male turned a little yellow:p

_DSC6818.JPG
_DSC6826.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….