• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Collecting in the Rio Tapiche drainage

Tom C

5 Year Member
As October again approaches, and it soon is time for a trip to the Amazon again, I've published a report from one of the expeditions in 2009:
Collecting in the Rio Tapiche drainage

Warning: The report contains 250 photos, and takes some time to download.

Unfortunately the language is poor, but I hope you'll understand ....... if not; learn Norwegian :eek:, or just have a look at the pictures :biggrin:

Jholden

5 Year Member
I just started reading this article but I just have to say that A. sp. "Alto Tapiche"
has to be one of if not thee most amazing apisto I've ever seen. Just spectactular!

Microman

5 Year Member
Tom your English is excellent....And will be even better by the end of October after a month of "Oh nos" and "F------ hills".
Great report again mate.
Cant wait to get back there.
Just 6 weeks or so and my stint on the Iquitos neighbourhood watch begins again....
Mark.

bigbird

5 Year Member
wow, just shows you really how special all apistos are and that in the wild there must be millions of subspecies and types. It also makes it clear, what lengths the catchers go till they arrive in our aquarium store, if they are wild ones ? They travel so long. Well done microman and Tom...wow am very jealous. Love your photos and english is perfect. A pity we do not have apistos in Australia, however maybe we do up north but they have not yet been discovered.....cheers jk :cool:

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Another incredible journey you have taken us on.

I will probably never get to South America so this photo tour is the next best thing.

Jholden

5 Year Member
Those are some awsome looking A. agasizzi and such wide array of forms.. Reminds me of an article Mike Wise wrote or posted (or both) here about the characteristics of the bands on the caudal fin of different forms of agasizzi. Anyone have the link to that? I have it on my other PC but the motherboard recently died.

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Wonderful article, Tom! If I may add a few names:

resizeimage.aspx

Bujurquina sp.

resizeimage.aspx

Batrochoglanis sp.cf.raninus

resizeimage.aspx

Hemiloricaria/Rineloricaria sp.

resizeimage.aspx

Ancistrus sp.

resizeimage.aspx

Bujurquina sp.

-Haakon

Tom C

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for the kind words from all of you!:)
Highly appreciated!

...your English is excellent....And will be even better by the end of October after a month of "Oh nos" and "F------ hills"...
I don't know if I want to learn to bawl "Oh NO" every time I see a small hill. According to my experiences, that habit is an unique phenomenon associated with exhausted and hungry Englishmen in the jungle...:biggrin:

... If I may add a few names:...
Thank you very much for the ID-help, Haakon!
-

Tom C

5 Year Member
Small hills..... I thought they had moved the Andes into the Amazon basin just for the month i was there :)
He-he...That explains why the fishermen's "just a 20 minutes walk" took us 2 hours... :tongue:

MonteSS

Yes. Amazing story and pics.

I also would like to know how you keep the water cool enough and aerated to keep the fish alive.

..Bill

Julio Melgar

5 Year Member
Thanks for a great photographic tour Tom. And I see Mark has gotten that trasmitable disease that is going to the jungle, once you visit Amazonia you can't stop going back.

Take care and be safe,

Julio

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Tom,

Really wonderful pictures of a great trip!
Thanks for sharing them with us...

Please keep these beautiful A. sp. Alto Tapiche until October 2011 :rolleyes:... then you can give some to Alf S. when he comes to Germany, where I hopefully will meet him. :tongue:

best regards,
Rolo

Tom C

5 Year Member
….How do you bring apistogramma out alive?
….I also would like to know how you keep the water cool enough and aerated to keep the fish alive...Bill
Just like all the other wild fish that are brought out from the Amazon.
Put them in ordinary fishbags. Change water (and air) every day. Keep them in the bottom of the boat, covered by palm leaves or something similar to keep them “cold†and avoid exposure to the sun.
Put them in tanks in Iquitos, and pack them like the exporters do, and then a flight (to Europe).
For details on the packing: See post 22 in this thread

…..I see Mark has gotten that trasmitable disease that is going to the jungle, once you visit Amazonia you can't stop going back.
I’ve been carrying this disease for several years now, it really is the nicest disease you could have. :)
Mark was very easily infected too; if I remember right, he already one week after arrival claimed: “I’ll be back†!
See you next year, Julio!

…. Really wonderful pictures of a great trip!…
Thanks, Rolo.
Any chance we will see a report from your trip to French Guyana soon?

Rolo

5 Year Member
Any chance we will see a report from your trip to French Guyana soon?

Haha. Well your website is the BEST inspiration for me to take some time for doing this. But it nevertheless could take a while, because I have little time at the moment. Maybe a short version soon here... ;-)

regards,
Rolo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….