• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Elizabethae

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi All,

My LFS has just received 3pairs of Elizabethae. As I have not seen these in Sydney at all and this is the first time, I have no experience in these. As they are pricy at AUD 200 a pair, before I buy these can you give me any tips etc ?
I have bred plenty other Apistos before. cheers jk :biggrin:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This fish has a complex reputation. If you can get the water conditions correct, they breed easily. The trick is to get the fry through the first month of life. They seem extremely sensitive to fluctuations in water quality. Most successful breeders find that feeding very small quantities of food more times than usual each day is best. The same is true for water changes.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
That is quite expensive but how cool is it that you have access to these lovely fish.

We have had a few new fish come here recently and got snapped up by people who didn’t ask for advice like you are. Unfortunately most are lost now without getting any fry and I am kicking myself for not jumping in sooner.

If you have the ability to get them then I would say go for it. The main question is do you back yourself more than someone else to breed and distribute them.

gingerbeer

5 Year Member
They have been in Sydney before and an old apistophile Thomas in Sydney had some success with these fish.

I can't help with the fair price question - I think it is high, but they are not common so..... Persoanlly I have access to a great shop up here in Brisbane who indulges all my needs.

blueblue

5 Year Member
This fish has a complex reputation. If you can get the water conditions correct, they breed easily. The trick is to get the fry through the first month of life. They seem extremely sensitive to fluctuations in water quality. Most successful breeders find that feeding very small quantities of food more times than usual each day is best. The same is true for water changes.

Mike's advice is very true, especially the feeding part for fry :)

steph

5 Year Member
Hi bigbird,

Steve (gingerbeer) is correct, these have been in Sydney before and I know Thomas successfully bred them - in fact I think they spawned within 24 hours of him getting them home! His pH was fairly low eg: < 5 - but it was a long time ago and I have no other details.

Would you be able to share which shop in Sydney has such interesting fish! Not sure my budget will stretch to $200 a pair :eek: but its always good to encourage LFS's to stock different fish.

Cheers

Steph

815xuedengfeng

Hi bigbird,

Steve (gingerbeer) is correct, these have been in Sydney before and I know Thomas successfully bred them - in fact I think they spawned within 24 hours of him getting them home! His pH was fairly low eg: < 5 - but it was a long time ago and I have no other details.

Would you be able to share which shop in Sydney has such interesting fish! Not sure my budget will stretch to $200 a pair :eek: but its always good to encourage LFS's to stock different fish.

Cheers

Steph

This good raised? I'm afraid I have bad it is dead! What a pity!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….