• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Electric Blue Rams

fredmir1

5 Year Member
Hi

My LFS got in a bunch of Electric Blue Rams

How can I tell the different between males and females??

Do I sex them like regular Blue Rams??

They do look all a like to me

Thanks
George

wethumbs

5 Year Member
That's because they are all the same sex.
My LFS had an EBR female in the mix and she looked just like a typical ram female. Unfornately, she was an 'one-eye pirate' and is genetic. The eye was still there but sucken in and obviously blinded.

Anyone knows if they are using methyltestosterone in Singapore before shipping them?

ste12000

5 Year Member
No-one knows too much about the origin of these fish, i assume its someone actually physically picking out females because they are still only being shipped in comparitively small batches, this weeks import list lists them as very limited stock(30 available)..

I am douptful about the use of hormones, females do creep through and i bought a batch of UK bred Electric blue rams a few months ago, i am now producing them myself and have aprox 1000 fry of various sizes, they breed true and have supprisingly low levels of defects, runts or culls..Im very pleasently supprised by the quality of this strain and look forward to continue working with them in the future. Nice fish in my opinion.

Fredmir, in adult fish use body size, shape and fin length for sexing these fish, ive worked with rams for many years and its easy for me but lots of people struggle sexing even normal rams.. the females stomach is more rounded in adults and the males dorsal fin extentions are longer..its difficult to type and tell you online but if i was stood in the LFS with you i would be able to pick them out no problem..As wethumbs has already said the chances are that all the fish are the same sex, in that case there is not much you can do if your looking to breed them!

RossyT

Hi, I'm just double-checking on the ideal conditions for these?; I read it should be similar to G.Blue Rams......Soft, acidic PH, Low TDS, Nil Nitrite & Ammonia, Temp. of 78-82F?

> I aim to chronicle the development of them on a Journal with Pic's/Video and hope to be able to sex them once they grow.......They are arriving in a few days.

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated......(I'm off to search in the Profile section about them) :biggrin:

blueblue

5 Year Member
This commercial form of Rams is available in Hong Kong, too.
Initially, there're two grades (depending on quality) while it seems to me
that only the better quality's grade is in the market now.
The biggest and original supply is from Singapore.
The quantity is huge and yes, most of them appear to be male but
there're some female fish, too. The way to tell their sex follows the usual
rule for the regular Rams.

briztoon

5 Year Member
Hybrid or Line Bred?

Hey guys,

Sorry to hyjack the thread some. Electric Blue rams came up in a discussion on hybridised fish on another site.

Has anyone got any ideas on whether ebr's are hybrids? and if so, with what species were they crossed with. Or are they just line bred?

MikeW65

5 Year Member
They are not hybrids as they breed true, 100% of the fry I have raised have turned blue by 3 months old. Ste12000 is right about the sexing, if you see enough rams there are subtle body differences that show and a full female is obvious.
Mike

rob1

males or females?

so did you find that the females as well as the males are all coloured electric blue?
i just bought 4 of these and im feeling a bit worried that they are all males due to some of the previous posts.
on real close inspection 2 of them seem to have more rounded bellies, but other than that they look exactly the same to me - same fins and same electric blue colouration.
i am quite the novice though.
thanks,
rob.

MikeW65

5 Year Member
Hi Rob, Both sexes are colored exactly the same. Sounds like you have a good chance at 2 pairs!! Mike

rob1

heres a few shots of my new rams. what do you folks reckon. any obvious males or females there?

DSC_0635-1.jpg

DSC_0634.jpg

DSC_0632.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The problem with domestically color enhanced forms of many species is that markings that help sex a fish are lost. Based only on body shape, however, I agree with Bilbo: 2 females. I could be wrong, too.

OHR

5 Year Member
Thanks, I thought it was two females as well. Wonder what the odds of that happening is :rolleyes:
So I guess it`s of to the shop and get a couple of males.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Hi Rob1, like your pics. For educational purposes can you, or any one wishing to help id the fish in your pics as female or male. I think if these pics show both sexes, many of us can get a crash coarse in sexing EBRs.

Thanks
g

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sexing EB Rams isn't nearly as easy as sexing more normal colored Rams. In addition, the fish in OHR's photos appear to be young and not fully grown. At this size/age there is little useful to sex the fish other than body profile. Males, even young males, tend to be slightly more elongate, while females tend to have an oval shape body profile. Compare the fish in rob1's 2nd photo. The front 2 fish look like males, while the fish in the background looks like a female.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….