• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spawning Frequency

eageraquarist

5 Year Member
Hello, after reading this forum daily for a while now, couple months ago I took the plunge and purchased my first apistos, tank raised Ap. agassizii "redtail" from a local fish store. Last week they bred for the first time and unfortunately like most first spawns the parents blow it and the eggs end up gone. Im just curious on average how often to most apistos spawn if they are continually given a healthy diet and quality water conditions? Every couple weeks or so? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

JRH

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome as a true forum member. It's hard to answer your question. It really depends on so many factors: species, breeders' ages (especially the female), water quality and frequency/quantity of water changes, food quality and frequency of feeding, tank decoration (it can provide supplimental food and water quality effects), etc. In general I've found that sexually mature apistos will breed within 2 weeks after fry are removed or eggs/fry are lost. There are exceptions. Some species seem to be seasonal breeders in the wild and they take a 1 - 2 month rest between 6 - 8 month breeding seasons. Others will breed as soon as they are able, even if they have a brood.

eageraquarist

5 Year Member
Thanks alot Mike, I appreciate your help. They were finicky to get them to do the deed. To get them to breed i fed them very little for several days during my college finals, I then did a large water change and fed them only blackworms 2-3 times a day, couple days later alas there were eggs. That has worked for me a couple times with other fish. Anyone else have any strategies for finicky breeders? Just curious. Thanks

JRH

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think water values are very important. I think if you keep the water at ideal values for breeding your aggies, then you'll be more successful. They'll breed in less ideal conditions, but not be as successful at producing viable spawns. I'll give you 1 example from my fish room. I've been keeping A. cf. agassizii (Madeira-Gold) for many years. I hadn't consciously tried to breed them for about 3 years now. My 'breeders' were just being kept in tap water (neutral, moderately soft) and fed 1 - 2 times each day. Under these conditions, the fish never produced viable spawns. Then I realized that I was down to 1 female and 2 males from a spawn in November 2006 (yes, 2006! I didn't believe it myself until I re-checked my records). I wasn't sure if I'd be successful with such old fish, but I had to try. I added pure R/O water for water changes and continued normal feedings. Once the pH reached 5.2 and the conductivity dropped to 35 µS/cm, the fish spawned and I now have about a dozen 4 week old fry being guarded by their mother. Not a big spawn, but I'll take it. I should be able to keep the population going for a while longer.

Big G

5 Year Member
I have a pair of Agassizi 'Red Gold', and the female lays every 2 weeks to 2.5 weeks without exception!! I currently am sitting on three batches of fry, and some wrigglers, and I've only had this pair since the end of feb!! My main problem is that the male has not yet learnt that eating his babies is not the right way!!

Yet, I have a pair of Caca 'Sunbursts' who do all the tail slapping and flirting, but as yet no fry!! I am unable to tell if she is actually spawning, as she has dug her den under a piece of Mopani wood which is covered by moss, so cannot view the nesting site!! I only just about spotted the pile of shifted gravel through the moss!! I believe though that once a pair starts actually spawning successfully, they will happily keep doing so if, as Mike pointed out, the conditions are kept right!!

These are my own observations, and I am by no means an expert!! I'm still learning all the time!!

Regards
G!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….