• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

buying apistos

jb-ny

5 Year Member
just wondering where everyone buys or just looks at apistos?
Fish Stores that have websites, breeders that may not have websites.
I check aquabid but it seems that it is the same fish everyday (almost) and they are the same fish i can get at my lfs.

discusone

5 Year Member
As a newbie,

Check aquabid every couple of days.If you see something you like,jump on it fast!.Dont forget to bookmark all the sponsors of this site.Check their avalability list at least twice a week.The rare and cool,go fast.

Have the tank up and seasoned.Prepare to buy,and enjoy.

And as Mike has said,plan to attend the ACA.Or book your trip to Lima,Bogata,or for the more adventesome,Caracaus.(i know,my spelling is terrible).Spell check anyone?.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Caracas, Venezuela?

US Citizens are not likely to have much luck collecting and shipping fish in and out of Venezuela unless something very new in our relationship with Venezuela has changed recently.
Most fish found in Venezuela are also found on the Colombian side of the Orinoco and that is the primary source of "Venezuelan" fishes found in our tanks in this country.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think there was some toung in cheek there...but I could be wrong.

jb, what apistos are you looking for? Right now most wild caught apsitos are comig out of Peru. There are also 2 or 3 that can be had from Columbia. Many of the other countries that have apistos are very hit and miss, and more miss then hit, for exporting fish as of late-some for political reasons and others for limited export "clean" lists and still others for lack of someone actively comercially collecting fish.

discusone

5 Year Member
Yes,the referance to Caracas was very tongue-in-cheek.The political sitiuation has not changed,but maybe a photo-opt,with Chavez holding a bag of apistos,could change world politics???.Nah,forget that plan.

jb-ny

5 Year Member
I want all of them. :)
I now have the resources and space for a great deal of fish and tanks.
Aquabid is a disappointment, it is the same fish over and over. My local fish store has a better selection than aquabid.
is there an exporter in Peru? i have a relative who does missionary work in peru and i would like to have them shipback apistos.

Hassles

5 Year Member
Apistogramma in Australia

Here in Australia we have our own problems sourcing Apistogramma. A good deal of what 'might' become available comes via Glaser in Germany. Always appear to be good fish but we 'may' be offered 40% of what Glaser has on their catalogue. Some aquariums are now independently importing and these fish 'usually' come from Peru via Thailand - at least this give us an option. Thus far the fish have all appeared to be fine and some previously unavailable species have made their way here. Generally however the best source here is via private breeders which means their willingness to freight which is itself not common. Scour the forums and contact the cichlid societies - you may be surprised at what you discover.

take care

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I want all of them. :)
I now have the resources and space for a great deal of fish and tanks.
Aquabid is a disappointment, it is the same fish over and over. My local fish store has a better selection than aquabid.
is there an exporter in Peru? i have a relative who does missionary work in peru and i would like to have them shipback apistos.

There are several exporters (the one listed above has a nice selection of Apistos) but bringing in quantity. having the import license, and dealing with customs are all things to consider. Most exporters ship out in full and sometimes half box lots of a given species (40-120 fish) and have a sizeable minimum order.

I brought in 8 Peru species and will most likley be brining in 4-5 more species after I sell most of them off and have room for the next round.

discusone

5 Year Member
jb-ny,

Take a look at aquabid today,as there are some rare new apistos being listed as avalabile.I would get some,but my tanks are full.Some rare Peruvuians being offered up.

Bill.

jb-ny

5 Year Member
is it me or do the Peruvian fish in pics on aquabid make the fish look sickly?
has anyone bought any from amazon tropicals?

I picked up a pair of agasizzi fire red this morning from my lfs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrothgar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….