• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramoides pucallpaensis

Hassles

5 Year Member
Can anyone here offer some advice pertaining to the breeding of Apistogramoides pucallpaensis ? The only info I have at preent is from teh cichlid atlas and a few scant references on-line.

thanks in advance

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
My only success I had with them came when I put a group of 6 in a heavily planted 10G with driftwood and kind of ignored them. A pair found themselves and next thing I know I had some very tiny fry. pH was below 6 and it was 90% RO water. Temp 77-80.
Steve

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The words to remember are "very tiny fry". They breed fairly easily in modeately soft and slightly acid water. Most hobbyists lose the fry because they don't have the right size food. It is best to breed them in a well established tank that has a large micro-fauna in it.

Hassles

5 Year Member
The words to remember are "very tiny fry". They breed fairly easily in modeately soft and slightly acid water. Most hobbyists lose the fry because they don't have the right size food. It is best to breed them in a well established tank that has a large micro-fauna in it.

That (well establioshed tank) won't be an issue. Would they be able to take microworms ? Surely they would be ? ?

Thanks to you both for your responses. I shall keep you all informed.

take care

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
That (well establioshed tank) won't be an issue. Would they be able to take microworms ? Surely they would be ? ?

Microworm are large food for newly freeswimming fry. Think of feeding them the same as your newly freeswimming Betta splendens. It is much easier to breed this species in an 'old' tank and then start with newly hatched BBS and microworms after a few days.

steph

5 Year Member
Who's been telling tales? Oh well. I didn't want any of the southerners to find out untill the fish had grown up alot.

hehe - a little birdy called steve told me :)

good luck with them Hassles, I dont recall seeing them in the country before at all.

steph

briztoon

5 Year Member
hehe - a little birdy called steve told me :)

good luck with them Hassles, I dont recall seeing them in the country before at all.

steph

They've been in Sydney before. I'm pretty sure an past member from Discus Forums had them. Unfortunately he no longer appears to be keeping apsitos.

japes

5 Year Member
I was looking at picking some up with a small 30L tank but wasn't impressed by the remaining stock. Appeared to be males with very large dark blotching on the fins.

Going back to waiting for some more T. candidi in a 40x30x30 setup I think.

gingerbeer

5 Year Member
Why am I up Pete .... welll ...... Most engineers tend to have a wife and a mistress. The wife assumes you are with the mistress. The mistress assumes you are with the wife. And both leave you alone so you can get some work done ......... I guess 4 kids has an affect too - so quiet while they are asleep and I am in my home office......

Apistogrammoides don't excite me as much as others. Next month is Angel month for me at Fishchicks ..... As long as Jodi has the aussie market we will always get a cup of coffee and first choice of the best apistos.

If Glen and Steph want to come and visit Brissy they are welcome - will meet for a cuppa same location. Got a bed if needed ..... If Mikey comes over I suggest we start him on XXXX on the wood at Breakfast Creek and then we need to go play two up. Visit Jodi the next day...... if we can get up? When ya coming Mr Wise?

steph

5 Year Member
I was in Brissy at Christmas and I did get to Jodi's shop - with 2 kids and a husband in tow !!! *ARGH* He likes fish, was trying to convince me to buy some of those altum angels she had but just not my thing at all. And the only tank big enough for angels in my house has baenschi in it and there is no way Im putting angels in with those!

Will be back again at some stage, one of my sisters lives up there, so I will organise a better leave pass and we can meet for coffee at Fishchicks.

Steve: Dont feed the visitors XXXX, you will poison them !

Steph

Hassles

5 Year Member
Apistogrammoides

The pullcapaensis has been in Australia previously as a mis-identified Apistogramma. This has been expressed previously by those who know at the forum in Australia. Glaser had them in their catalogue earlier this year and I ordered some via the importer via my LFS only to be told NO. The fish I have are very small but look good and I think they will be very handsome when mature. I don't see them much because the tank is chock-a-block with wood (vine root) rocks and plants etc including a huge chunk of water sprite floating over-head. I just want them to settle down for the moment. Nature will hopefully take her course sometime down the track.

Q: anybody else in Australia keeping A.huascar ? or am I the only one ? I do get a little paranoid about this actually.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….