• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

shipping question

discusone

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

For those of you that ship apistos across the U.S.,how is the best way to recieve fish?USPS Express or FedEX?.Obviously FedEx Overnight would be the prefered method,but the cost could be excessive.

How well has the USPS done for everybody?.FWIW,i am looking at shipping in some wild caught apistos from the east coast to Den.CO.

Thanks for any input.
Bill.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most shippers will define the method of shipping. I would use whatever service the seller is experienced and comfortable with, and if the cost is prohibitive do not buy from the seller.

I use USPS Express Mail exclusively. FedEx carries 100% of the USPS Express packages as a subcontractor, so the quality of service is the same. However, if you are in a more rural area the box may take two days, and you cannot get next day AM. USPS will guarantee some cities by noon and others by 3:00. If fish are packed well there is no problem with them being in a box for two days.

Different people have different experiences with USPS. Some local post offices will not accept fish even though there is no USPS rule against shipping fish. I have no problems because I have a great relationship with my local post office.

Over the years I have used USPS, FedEx, UPS and DHL. No one service is significantly more reliable that another, IME. Therefore I use the inexpensive service.

discusone

5 Year Member
Thanks,Ted.

I did not know that FedEx subcontracted for the USPS.Very good info!.In that case i will go with the USPS express.Just hoping for milder weather next week,so less risk to my new apistos.

Thanks again,Bill.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that the base rate for one pound to go one zone away (say OH to IN) is about $25. It then does up based upon weight, box size and distance. Most of my boxes are between 3-5 pounds and the rates run between $35 - $45.

animalmgc

5 Year Member
the only time I've had problems was around holidays and with the extreme cold.Postal express next is is fine they guarentee it to most destinations next day.the one time I used it it did fine.You can also track your next day express online

discusone

5 Year Member
shipping

Well,i went with FedEX,as i trust them,having shipped many saltwater butterflys,when i had my salt tanks.The difference between FedEx,and USPS express was about 6 US dollars.IMHO,a nobrainer.

The total for shipping,from the US east coast,to Denver,Colorado,was about $64.00.This included 2 heat pacs.

Arrived on time,9.40AM,and fish were warm and ALL ALIVE!.Not one loss to this date.
Bill.

HiImSean

5 Year Member
for shipping to me, i always use fedex. i work for them and get a great discount on priority over night. i've always had fish arrive on time and in good condition even after a truck crashed in the middle of the night. the delivery person was always the same to my apartment and i would be one of her first stops since she knew they were live fish :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….