• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. Caño Libertad (Heiko Bleher)

Mark

5 Year Member
I think it is a colourform of the A. bitaeniata. The rounded tail would say something else, but I think the tail just needs to grow a little more. The blue fish seems to have a more fully grown tail and it looks like a bitaeniata pattern.

Mark

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm not sure that this is A. bitaeniata. I would think that the dorsal spines would be at least partly elongated on the male at this size. The tail should at least be beginning to become truncated/squared off on males, too. The Río Apaporis is part of the Río Caquetá/Japurá system. There is a population of A. bitaeniata from the mouth of the Japurá on the Amazon, but the Apaporis is far from this population. I would be interested to see this fish in the aquarium after 1 year. Then we might know if it is a new species or not.

blueblue

5 Year Member
I'm not sure that this is A. bitaeniata. I would think that the dorsal spines would be at least partly elongated on the male at this size. The tail should at least be beginning to become truncated/squared off on males, too. The Río Apaporis is part of the Río Caquetá/Japurá system. There is a population of A. bitaeniata from the mouth of the Japurá on the Amazon, but the Apaporis is far from this population. I would be interested to see this fish in the aquarium after 1 year. Then we might know if it is a new species or not.

Yes, I agree and have doubts on whether the specimens are bita or not.
In addition to the surprisingly flat dorsal spines, and round tail, the caudal fin's
pattern is too colorful to be a usual bita. It will be amazing if it turns out to be a new
species. Well-done Heiko for collecting interesting fish again!

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

thank you for the nice comments, Natasha just placed another small series of pictures (and underwater video) from a complete other small creek I researched last December in the Inirida region (I surveyed 4 river basins in Amazonia November/December 2009 colelcting over 500 differen fish species). This new insert has also with an interesting Apistogramma (this is possibly an A inirida variant) and in the next issue of PFK they show 4 new Apsitogramma I found on these recent expeditions (all aff. or cf.'s). Very beautiful ones.

Have a look under:
http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=438&Itemid=40

I do not think this one from L Libertad is a A. bitaeniata, quite different (especially tail, chest and colour patter), but maybe belongs to the group - possibly. We are trying to breed it, it has much more colour now, those photos were all taken immediately after collecting.

Thanks again and all the very best, and keep up the good work,

regards from a none-stop-collector (I was in India last month and off to Iran next week)...

always

Heiko
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
Hi Rafael,

one of the nicest gentleman I every met had your name: Rafael (Wandurrage). He weas one of the first fishermen of ornamentals in Colombia and an amazing Indian. With beautiful two daughters... I will never forget. (And worte about it in my book...).

Anyhow, thoise dwayf Crenicicla are (I think) not wallacei, have alook at the video it shows the female (as this photo is only a male). Some real beautys.

Thanks and all the very best to Iberia,

always

Heiko
www.auapress-bleher.com

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thank you for sharing those links, Heiko. I really like the video. I find the number and diversity of all the fish in such a small area amazing.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thank you for sharing those links, Heiko. I really like the video. I find the number and diversity of all the fish in such a small area amazing.
I echo the words by Ted.

By the way, when will your Discus book's 2nd volume appear in the market? I think many hobbyists are looking forward to it.

rafael

5 Year Member
Hi Rafael,

one of the nicest gentleman I every met had your name: Rafael (Wandurrage). He weas one of the first fishermen of ornamentals in Colombia and an amazing Indian. With beautiful two daughters... I will never forget. (And worte about it in my book...).

Anyhow, thoise dwayf Crenicicla are (I think) not wallacei, have alook at the video it shows the female (as this photo is only a male). Some real beautys.

Thanks and all the very best to Iberia,

always

Heiko
www.auapress-bleher.com

Hola Heiko.

Thanks for your words.

Unfortunately I can not see the video with Firefox, :frown: I'll try to install another browser and observe the female, but the male it's very similar than C. wallacii. :biggrin:

Greetings,

Rafael.

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

1. We only use Firefox, therfore it should be easy to view it, never heard anyone who couldn't.

2. Thank you guys for the comments, you know I quite often "on the road", but when I am here I have been working almost every minute on volume 2, like now all night and still at 5:45 AM sitting on it. But I am sure anyone who read volume I can understand that it is a lot of work, and specially with the over 600 breeders I interviewed...every detail from the very, very begin... and about my updated reasearch about the Amazon (in Chapter 10) will probably boost every other writing about Amazonia published previously... (that is also why I am ging every year again and again... I only believe what I see myself and about that I write, and only that).

Anyhow, thanks again and good night to all of you,

always

Heiko
www.aquapress-bleher.com

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks and we all understand. By the way, do you have some specific schedule in your mind on when volume 2 might be ready?

Hi guys,

1. We only use Firefox, therfore it should be easy to view it, never heard anyone who couldn't.

2. Thank you guys for the comments, you know I quite often "on the road", but when I am here I have been working almost every minute on volume 2, like now all night and still at 5:45 AM sitting on it. But I am sure anyone who read volume I can understand that it is a lot of work, and specially with the over 600 breeders I interviewed...every detail from the very, very begin... and about my updated reasearch about the Amazon (in Chapter 10) will probably boost every other writing about Amazonia published previously... (that is also why I am ging every year again and again... I only believe what I see myself and about that I write, and only that).

Anyhow, thanks again and good night to all of you,

always

Heiko
www.aquapress-bleher.com

rafael

5 Year Member
Hi.

Well, I had to install the plugin to see the video (Flash Video Donwloader)... the underwater video is very nice & made me much grace the: "cuidado Natasha" :biggrin: by the pass under a branch. :tongue:

Greetings,

Rafael.

rafael

5 Year Member
Hi again. :biggrin:

In the video you can see at 2:05 and 2:51 a female Crenicichla wallacii or a Crenicichla aff. wallacii, with 2 black ocelli at the dorsal fin. More clarification would be some photos of the female.

What is your opinion?

Rafael.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
After watching the video, the female pike seems to have red rimmed ocelli instead of orange (though the stained water makes it hard to tell). If they are red rimmed, I'd lean towards the undescribed sp. orinoco dwarf or cf. noto since the Colombian wallacii that have been coming in have orange rimmed ocelli.

The picture of the male looks far more colorful than the colombian wallacii as well.

BTW, the pic on the first page is a sax-type pike, not a dwarf/wallacii-group.

ernstvangenne

5 Year Member
I think we made about the same trip, to Letitia, canõ Bocon/Rio Atabapo, why did'nt you go to Honda?? We heard already that some Russians/Tsjechiens/japanees and Heiko were there in December...
Well we didnot catch much A. bit. , only many Ap. spec. kelleri, with long first tails on the backfin and WITHOUT! So it was a surprise to catch both fishes in the same place. And a femail with larfs in het mouth, I was very happy to make some underwaterpictures from a femail with het breed of 10 days old.
ernst van genne

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member

animalmgc

5 Year Member
great job and yes its hard to imagine so many different species crammed into one area.The filming is well done thanx again it was enjoyable.

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I hope you all are well and busy with your Apistos. I just published a new yearly issue on the latest update on Amazonia and it it are some of the recent discoveries explained with excellent photography. And the one you mention her for the time being is Apistogramma cf. bitaeniata, but Sven Kullander already think it is a new species.

Anyhow, you all can have a closer look at:
http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=472&Itemid=1

and there are also all the others from last december.

best regards

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….