• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Schwarzkinn/Black-chin Spawn!

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Finally got some free swimming Apistogramma schwarzkinn / black-chin. These are some of the wild caught fish I got from at the MCA from Amazon Tropicals. The female has been colored up nicely (yellow and black) for the last week, so I knew something fishy was going on.

pH: 6.8
Temp: 74 - 76 F

Enjoy the pics...

Female moving fry from clay pot
PC060020.jpg

Female guarding clay pot
PC060022.jpg

Male not doing much of anything
100_8783.jpg

Fry while being moved from clay pot to clay pot
PC060025.jpg

Jholden

5 Year Member
congratz! I just picked up a dozen F1 juvenile black-chins myself from a club member here in town. they are about an inch in length now and all look very femanine at the moment. Hopefully theres at least 1 male in there!

Congratz again on your spawn.. Beautiful fish.

-Jay

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Thanks. I separated the fry from the parents yesterday. The mother was very upset, as she kept pacing back and forth in the spot they last were. She then lost all her color, and the male started chasing here incessantly. I am going to pull the male to allow the female to recover.

I would say there are 40 fry. I am feeding them live brine shrimp, and decapsulated brine shrimp three times daily. Keeping them at a temp of 75F.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
A few more pics before I pulled the fry. The mother was very upset and went drab quickly. That was Sunday. The female is colored back up however, and hopefully we'll have some eggs by week end.

PC090013.jpg

PC090018.jpg

PC090014.jpg

PC080009.jpg

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Those are a bit different. Close relatives of A. cacatuoides, ya think?
Anyway, congratulations for raising this very pretty species. Tank raised strains of cacatuoides have lost some of their original appeal as a pretty yet trouble free species to keep and breed. They seem less hardy than they used to be.

Damonc

5 Year Member
I know this is an old thread but does anyone have any of these available or know of a source?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Damon

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I know this is an old thread but does anyone have any of these available or know of a source?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Damon

I have some on order from Peru which should be here in 2-3 weeks. I won't know until I have them if they are the right fish for sure or not though. I won't be shipping again until early next year though as I HATE to ship during December when the postal system and other shippers are bogged down.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
FYI - the two pairs I started with came from Amazon Tropicals at the MCA in KC in 2009. I believe these were originally sold as A. jurensis, if that helps any. Mike Wise and others helped identify them.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Peru lists always list them as jurensey or something spelled close to that. So far I'm 2 for 2 on ordering jurensey and receiving sp. Black Chin (which is what I have hoped for).

Damonc

5 Year Member
I have some on order from Peru which should be here in 2-3 weeks. I won't know until I have them if they are the right fish for sure or not though. I won't be shipping again until early next year though as I HATE to ship during December when the postal system and other shippers are bogged down.

Can you please contact me when they arrive, I would be interested in getting some. I bought a dozen fry and wound up with 1 male that I recently lost. I'm currently sitting on a lot of females.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
As has been the norm for Peru orders for me as of late things have been delayed! So because of Christmas and not wanting to ship to numerous people during the last 1/2 of December the order will be pushed back until January. Sorry!

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I keep putting off sending in test boxes to FedEx so I can use them year around for over night delivery.
Relying on the USPS only I ship from sometime in April until sometime in October depending on the weather. I can't imagine fish arriving half frozen this time of the year since all mailed shipments take 2 days.

Damonc

5 Year Member
As has been the norm for Peru orders for me as of late things have been delayed! So because of Christmas and not wanting to ship to numerous people during the last 1/2 of December the order will be pushed back until January. Sorry!

Not a problem, I will be waiting patiently. :biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….