• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Long white/clear stringy poo

Kyle

5 Year Member
Hey, one of my Ap. Cacatuoides appears to be unwell and has been for 3/4 days. I've taken him away from the other fish. He sits on the bottom with a clamped tail fin and he has a long clear string coming out of him and it's been there for about 2 days. My water is good, my siamese fighting fish and corydoras are fine but I've noticed my 2 female cacatuoides have started just sitting at the bottom of the tank and lose all the black colouration. I've also noticed a scale has lifted behind his right eye. I want a close diagnostic as I don't want to waste money on meds that aren't going to do anything.

Long stringy poo can be seen coming out of the fish, sorry for the small picture.
Photo0486.jpg

Abother thing I noticed is that he appears to be struggling when he tries turning and ends up shaking his whole body and very rapid, heavy breathing.

Thanks
Kyle

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi,

Normally not a good sign. have you placed him in a quarantine tank ?
Sound like internal parasite. Have not found any cure so far. sorry cheers jk :frown:

Kyle

5 Year Member
I haven't got one, he's in a a big yellow dish tub with a sponge filter and a heater but I put him in that bag to take pictures. I would try the medicated foods but he hasn't eaten in 4 days. I've noticed that all the fish have been scratching on the gravel but none of them have this stringy poo.

fishgeek

the white stringy poo is due to increased mucous production in the fishes intestinal tract

this mucous production is generally thought to be due to parasitic irritation of the gut lining

options for treatment of the most common parasites are
metronidazol or dimetronidazol for protozoa
and flubendazol or levamisol for nematodes

Kyle

5 Year Member
I did one day of the sterazin but he died yesterday. I'm going to carry on the 5 day course though for the other fish. Thank you for your replies.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Kyle, this combined with your other posts definitely says Camallanus nematodes to me, I wasn't successful with treating my fish with fluebenol 15 (and it kills all your snails), but levamisole was successful (I used "Harka verm", intended for treating cage birds).
cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….