• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Agassizii's in Ohio

Jholden

5 Year Member
Looking for 1 or 3 female Aggassizii. Preferably F1+ or anything with yellow/orange finage. sorry im still a newb dont really kmow locales.. Hell any females will do at this point just really dont want triple reds..

edit: a little more clarificaion. I dug this up. I have some males that look exactly like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXbJewpwM_M

anyone know where i might find some females for these? aparently they are from Rio Jari

geeks_15

5 Year Member
Apistos in Cincinnati

Unfortunately I probably can't help you with the females you need. I'm replying because I'm also in Cincy and I think it is always good to have a few contacts. I'm into dwarf cichlids also.

At the GCAS auction on Saturday, I saw one bag of juvenile agassizi's. I think I know who they were from, because I think I got fish from the same people. I can try to figure it out, but I don't know any details about the fish. If you have a local resource for dwarf cichlids I love to know about it.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jholden

5 Year Member
Yea I had planned to go to the auction myself but for some reason I thought it was on sunday. So i missed it.:mad:

Im raising about 50 or so double/tripple orange/red A. cacatuoides right now. they are just about sexable and I have another spawn of wrigglers that just hatched yesrday. The parents are stunning and the male is huge.
cacatuoidesmalebreeder1.jpg

If your interested in some of those in a few weeks let me know. I have a friend with a few pair of red tail agassizii hes working on breeding right now. If all goes well in the next few weeks I may have a buch german blue ram fry also :) My current project is putting together a wild agassizii spawning group. I think I may mail order some wild fish to get things rolling..

-Jay

geeks_15

5 Year Member
apistos in cincy

I might be interested? I might be interested in ordering some fish too. Let me know when and where you plan to order from. Maybe we could order together and split the shipping?

Are you using RO water or straight Cincy tap water?

I'd love to get some rams and/or agassizii that were raised in hard cincy water. I have resisted using RO because of the hassle and the waste water issue (I use enough water already with 8 tanks running). Instead I'm just trying to get species that are OK in tap water.

I'm always tempted to buy blue rams and agassizii, but I'm concerned about putting them into hard cincy water. Despite my several years of experience with aquariums and planted tanks, I have had very bad luck with german blue rams (even back when I used RO water).

I just got some cacatuoides and they have laid some eggs. No hatch yet.

I'm raising some pelvicachromis taeniatus moliwe. I have 8-10 that are about 1cm and group number 2 are still swimming with the parents.

I have a couple other species of dwarves, but no breeding activity yet from them.

Let me know. Feel free to email me.

Jeremy
[email protected]

Jholden

5 Year Member
Yea, I use RO. I was into coral reef tanks about 6 or 7 years ago and had one from those days.. I worked at Wets Pets for about 4 or 5 years.

I guess about a year or so before I left there I was just completely sick of aquariums and moreover what it was doing to the marine fish and reef habitats.

About 6-7 months ago I set up a 55g I had in the basement w/ some freshwater stuff. Thats when I got addicted to the planted tank. I get more enjoyment out my planted tanks than I ever did with the reef tanks and I had some nice stuff.. The planted tank led me to rams then to apisto's. Now I have 8 tanks in all and all planted to some extent. Like you I had problems with rams as well untill. 1. I got a new membrane for my RO and 2.got fish from local breeders, and I mean Rams. The rams in the LFS are mostly from singapore shipped in acid water and full of cloramines. when they hit our hard high PH water the cloramines turn to amonia and burn the gills.. then at that point they dont last very long.. Well, thats the conclusion Ive come too.

Theres a guy that belongs to the GCAS Craig(electric eel) that breeds some super hardy and very beautiful rams that can withstand cinci water and even breed in it. Although i wouldnt suggest it lol.

There are some locally bred juvnile rams at monfort aquarium right now. I know the guy who bred them and have seen the parents.. they are very nice.

But anyway, I'm contemplating ordering some F0 apisto's from Amazon tropical. I talked to the guy and hes getting a shppment in later this week from Peru.. He said hed emaill me back and let me know what he can do..

As far as RO's go they are worth every penny if you want to play with soft water south americans. you just cant do it with our tap water and be sucessful.

-Jay

geeks_15

5 Year Member
Hmmm. I have an RO unit, but I don't have it set up.

Are you mixing tap and RO? I used to mix them to get moderately soft water. You're making me want to go RO again. I want to keep my tank maintenance to a minimum, and RO adds a level of complexity.

I don't see what I was wanting at amazon tropical. I was hoping to get some a. steindachneri. How much will shipping be? If its not too much I might try some a. macmasteri.

So far I've just been going for dwarves that will work in hard water like the pelvicachromis sp., a. cacatuoides, nannacara anomale. I'm also looking for curviceps and keyholes. I would also try some of the soft water species that were raised in hard water, like the locally raised rams.

Let me know what you hear from amazon tropicals.

geeks_15

5 Year Member
RO unit

I took the plunge today, and my RO unit will be set up on Thursday. This should open up many possibilities in my tanks. I'm excited. Hopefully it won't be too much more work (I don't think it will).

Jeremy

DavidZ

5 Year Member
Any Adasizzi?
What are the prices?

Yea I had planned to go to the auction myself but for some reason I thought it was on sunday. So i missed it.:mad:

Im raising about 50 or so double/tripple orange/red A. cacatuoides right now. they are just about sexable and I have another spawn of wrigglers that just hatched yesrday. The parents are stunning and the male is huge.
cacatuoidesmalebreeder1.jpg

If your interested in some of those in a few weeks let me know. I have a friend with a few pair of red tail agassizii hes working on breeding right now. If all goes well in the next few weeks I may have a buch german blue ram fry also :) My current project is putting together a wild agassizii spawning group. I think I may mail order some wild fish to get things rolling..

-Jay

Jholden

5 Year Member
I ditched the mail order idea after I found a female agassizii (fire red/Amelanistic) at my LFS for 18 bucks. Shes really young still but paired up with one of my wild yellow aggies. Shes been holed up in a cave for the past 4 days (tending a clutch of eggs I imagine).. Hopefully I'lll see some free swimmers soon!

kbear

5 Year Member
well sorry i cant help yet but it is good to see other in ohio that dont live too far from where i do i have only been doing the dwarfs for about 8 months

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….