• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Cacatuoides..

ste12000

5 Year Member
After much protest from me, my local shop has finally ordered some wild Apistogramma in from Peru..They brought in a mixed box of agassizi(yellow + blue forms), a couple of Bitaeniata and a tank of really colourful cacatuoides..Luckily i knew they were coming in and got my hands on them first, i picked out 4 pairs of the cacatuoides and got all the females in the tank!! They have been in their tanks for 4 days and i already have my first spawning, the males are the nicest cacatuoides that i have ever seen, far nicer than any domestic bred fish.
DSCF5795.jpg

DSCF5829.jpg

DSCF5845.jpg

DSCF5786.jpg

DSCF5779.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Well done Steve, they are cracking fish. I wouldn't have even known they were A. cacatuoides, it would be interesting to know what other colour morphs are out there.

cheers Darrel

RAF

5 Year Member
Lovely cacatuoides, these cacas I do like!

You're very fortunate overthere in being able to get fish like that, overhere we only get leftovers of a known europeean importer and domestic strains... wild dwarfs are rare, expensive, and most of the times, as I said, leftovers.

Good luck with those...

Vince1357

5 Year Member
Wow those wild cacatuoides are amazing looking! They look so much like apistogramma bitaeniata. You make me want to get some wild cacatuoides now..

markfair

5 Year Member
Hi Ste,
the colours are amazing. The fish I picked up from you on Wednesday have settled in nicely. thanks

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Well done Steve, they are cracking fish. I wouldn't have even known they were A. cacatuoides, it would be interesting to know what other colour morphs are out there.

cheers Darrel

Cheers mate..it really would be interesting to compare forms of cacatuoides. Even in this import there are differences between the fish, only a few have any red in their caudal, some have yellow across the underside and this stunner here has it across his shoulders..

Lovely cacatuoides, these cacas I do like!

You're very fortunate overthere in being able to get fish like that, overhere we only get leftovers of a known europeean importer and domestic strains... wild dwarfs are rare, expensive, and most of the times, as I said, leftovers.

Good luck with those...

Hi, we still struggle to find anyone to import apisto's into the uk with any regularity, they have always been the type of fish that interests a few aquarists while the rest of the people in the shop dont give them a second look!! its bad business to import fish that are not very popular! Luckily i am on good terms with the staff at my local shop and they asked my opinion as to what they should order. I fancied wild cacs because as you can see you never know whats going to turn up, i also picked a nice yellow form agassizi and a pair of yellow Bitaeniata. Ive got them to ask me before they order next time so i can pick ones that i have not yet bred :)
Do you not have any shops that order direct?? ask around and have a look at the import lists, there are plenty of companies that CAN order Apistogramma, they just need a bit of gentle persuasion that there is a market for them..Goodluck.

Wow those wild cacatuoides are amazing looking! They look so much like apistogramma bitaeniata. You make me want to get some wild cacatuoides now..

Nice arent they?? far better than the domestic fish that have been bred to be more pretty!!! i wonder when the breeders stopped viewing wilds as beautiful fish? This is one of the nicest apistos in my fishroom.

Hi Ste,
the colours are amazing. The fish I picked up from you on Wednesday have settled in nicely. thanks

Great news Mark, really good to meet you and glad to hear the fish are all ok..Get them breeding now and we will be ok..Goodluck.

bigbird

5 Year Member
wow they are great indeed. it is a pity , but in Australia we have such limits on wild imports with quarantine, that we rarely get unusual Apisto types.
Love the pics and good luck. cheers jk :biggrin:

dw1305

5 Year Member
Uk importer

Hi all,
"Jo Zebs" who is also Chester based I think? imports ubusual L numbers quite frequently, she may be able to get cichlids as well.
Email <[email protected]> or phone <07921553807>

cheers Darrel

peterK

5 Year Member
Excellent fish Steve, I always believed that wild types are much nicer. So now I'm sure:wink:

ste12000

5 Year Member
Cheers Peter, they are lovely fish..The eggs have now hatched and i can see wrigglers at the bottom of the cave. Hopefully in a few more days ill have freeswimming fry.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Well yesterday the first fry were gently shepherded out of the breeding cave for the first time, within a hour they are eating baby brineshrimp and actively swimming around mother..One interesting point is that these baby cacatuoides have a bright blue eye!!!! all other cacatuoides fry i have had in the past have been black!!!
DSCF6194.jpg

DSCF6196.jpg

DSCF6198.jpg

K-Pon

5 Year Member
All boast their wild cockatoos .....
My turn :)

And this is the final game. Maybe this isn't the final of the league of the basket-ball, but it suffice me (like on the first game) :wink:

ste12000

5 Year Member
Superb Ruki...Really nice sight and the natural looking tank looks fantastic..Keep us updated..

The fish that started this thread are looking good now, i lost the female(But have others from the same strain) and the male has done a fantastic job of bringing the youngsters up.. Here he is.

DSCF7651.jpg

DSCF7656.jpg

Ruki

5 Year Member
After a week:
malekakadu.jpg

Little fishes're growing really fast. I'm feeding them now: artemia-twice a day and grindal worms- once a day.

limchongyu

5 Year Member
After seeing your beautiful fishes I just couldn't help it and grabbed a pair of these myself. However my fish are still young and I'm really lousy at photographing fish. Would love to get any tips on breeding these. Are they as easy as the bred variants?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….