• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male A. Agassizi has become very aggressive

shifty803

5 Year Member
I have had my A. Agassizi pair for about 2 weeks now. They were coexisting fairly peacefully till the last couple days. He seems to have become extremely aggressive. There is damage to the female's caudal fin, and she spends almost all her daylight time hiding. Last night I found her up behind the filter intake, where she stayed for several hours.

After lights out, the male seemed to calm down a little. She came out and started poking around for food like usual. This morning though, the male is back to his aggressive behavior.

I am in the middle of cycling a 10g tank I am using as a QT tank, but it is still in the nitrite phase. I really have no way of separating them, and am worried that the male is going to kill her, whether directly or through stress/disease.

Is this common for the species, and what do most people do about it? Thanks for any help.

CPool

5 Year Member
Well I would do this, take her out andput her in the 10 gallon even if it isn't cycled. Take some filter material out of the tank that she is in now and put it in the fitler of the 10 gallon tank nad you have basically an instant cycle. Better than the alternative of having the female die.

In me experiance, they usually get along fine, but perhaps some time appart might do them well. Lovers quorel, I fight with my wife sometimes, these things happen.

shifty803

5 Year Member
Unfortunately, the QT runs a sponge filter and the main tank runs an Eheim 2217, so there is no media to take from one to the other.

I guess I'll have to keep the QT running at all times in order to have a place to stick the female in times of need.

viejo

5 Year Member
You didn't mention what size tank they are in.. It would be a good idea to put in some compatible dither/target fish ( I like rainbowfish) to calm them down,
give them something to chase if feeling testy & make them more conscientious about guarding spawns.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….