• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

more natural tank look...ok?

Tedstank

5 Year Member
I have started Willow cuttings in one of my tanks. Take a cutting and suspend it so that the top is out of the water. They grow an incredible root system into the water...so far in the teenage cacs grow out tank, they love browsinfg thru the roots. I believe a chemical in willows lead the the developement of asprin...so far no headaches..lol.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
So you have a willow thicket growing in your aquarium?:biggrin: Believe it or not, it's illegal to plant willows in Denver for ornamental or shade trees. They suck too much water out of the soil - something we have too little of here.

Tedstank

5 Year Member
Willows

The darned things grow everywhere. We are in a critical zone wetland area about 1/2 along the chesapeake bay....lots of swamps, ponds and TONS of driftwood. The wood is so cured and dried it takes Months and months to to sink it!! The willow cuttings sprout very fast...if i had better room lighting I would put in curly willow for house effects!!...so far seems to be safe...and will eventually get some pics.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Willow

Hi all,
I would think that willow roots would be very good, they are nice and fibrous, and there are lots of them. I would imagine that plenty of riverine S. American trees would grow similar roots. The only downside I can see is the maintenance of continually rooting shoots and disposing of the rooted willows. Along similar lines there is quite a lot about growing Rhizophora mangle (Mangrove) on some marine/brackish tank forums, although it will apparently grow in hard calcium/magnesium rich fresh water.

When I had the mark 1. planted trickle filters a lot of roots used to grow into water, which was partially why I adapted the filters, because the roots used to eventually clog the slot in the bottom of the filter, (where the water ran back into the tank). I also had a Monstera rooted into the one of the tanks, it grew very well, but the roots are quite solid, and not as good as either Pistia (Water Lettuce) or Eichornia (Water Hyacinth) which both have fantastic roots, and are easy to grow (if you have enough light), and Pistia would be suggestion for an easier alternative to Willow.

cheers Darrel

cheers Darrel

michelle

5 Year Member
I would love to see some pics. In fact I would love to see more pictures generally on the forum - of course size and space is always an issue.
michelle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….