• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Cacatuoides

P

postmanpaul

hi All
Im new to apistos but i have four in my tank 1/Male and 3/Female they are in a community tank with other fish non cichlid.two questions first have i done the right thing and put them in with what i call standard tropicals (Plecs/Gouramis/Sharks/Tetras/etc)at the moment they are OK but i realy want to make life good for them.second if what i have done is OK what can i do to improve thier life.These little guys are fab and i want them to be happy any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Doing it right

First question is how big is your tank? And the second question is how well landscaped is it? Do you have lots of plants and rock caves etc.? Places for them to claim as homes?

P

postmanpaul

Hi
The tank is 4ft long by 1ft deep x 1,1/2ft high.

P

postmanpaul

oh yes there are plants but not much in the way of rocks there are caves but the plecs lay claim to them as they dont like the light so when its on they tend to make for the caves.

Paul

STOKER

5 Year Member
oh yes there are plants but not much in the way of rocks there are caves but the plecs lay claim to them as they dont like the light so when its on they tend to make for the caves.

Paul

The most obvious thing Paul is that your plecs take over the caves ,you will need many more and make them so that the plecs can`t get into them , small entrance hole, i use coconut shells with a 3/4 inch hole in them,or clay plant saucers with the edge knocked out to give the same size entrance hole,try and ensure that the caves are out of line of sight,build a barrier between them,plants driftwood etc.Think about getting rid of the plecs even, "that`s if she`ll let you ". The main problem is that you want a NICE community tank but unfortunatley a breeding tank is for the good of the fish not really a nice show tank. Some of my breeding tanks look a mess but the fish breed in them.

Mike :) :)

T

Tiapan

breeding tanks

yes i understand that. i have much too many snails in my big planted community that my Apistos are in so i am going to set up a separate tank especially for them, ( i have 6, 2 males and 4 fem) so i am going to take a trio out and put it in a 29 (that will be well planted and have no snails (will de/ snail the plants first) and see what happens. there is a shortage or inexpensive apistos for trade and i know many people in houston that would love them, so i will give it a try. but they love living in my 60 community if their color is any indication.

kristina

5 Year Member
postmanpaul: I would be worried about the plecs and the sharks with your cacs. Both can get reasonably large, sharks have a tendancy to get aggressive and unfortunately cacs will stay small while the plecs and sharks wont. Sooner or later your cacs will be attacked out of aggression or they will become a snack between feeds. You need to determine what is of importance to you in this tank. If you can get rid of the sharks and plecs do that, if not I would move the cacs to a tank of their own or to a new home altogether. If your not willing to do either, set up a recorder and get the popcorn ready.:tongue:

james595

5 Year Member
Personally I would avoid the sharks and gouramis at all cost. These fish get big, and can be aggressive. I dont think plecos would eat the apistos, they could eat the eggs if they can get to em, but typically your fry wont survive anyway in a community tank.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Trichopsis pumila

Hi all,
I'd agree with the other posters, however if you really like Anabantoids, you could keep Trichopsis pumila (Dwarf sparkling gourami) with your Apistogramma.
If they are happy, conditions should be all right for your cichlids.

cheers Darrel

Tedstank

5 Year Member
Glad to hear you are getting a breeding tank. If you are leaving the other trio in your community tank, of course they will spawn first...lol I have found with all my appistos that the females are the aggressors. Any small fish in you community should be those that prefer the top 1/2 of the water column. The females will stake out out a territory in the community tank and begin guarding it. As they spawn they can make life quite difficult for any other fish, as hatching and fry time approaches. So far I have never had problems with the males.
If you get a hatch in the community tank...remember, in getting those young fish out will play havoc in a landscaped tank!!!

I wish you luck...it is fun.

warbyd

5 Year Member
*coughs*

...ummm... guys... check the post dates heh.. I'm pretty sure that by now the original poster has either sorted out his apisto housing situation or given up on it :p

*chuckles*

-Dave :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….