• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. baenschi: Id M/F & Skewed Ratios!?

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Is it just me? Or is this species: Apistogramma baenschi, known to have rotten M/F ratios???

While the beautiful allure of these particular males are one of the first species to capture my attention and get me interested in keeping Apistogrammas in the first place; I'm about ready to give them all away.

I mail-ordered in a group of four pairs last spring. Only two males survived the shipping ordeal. A week later I was down to one male. I did get him to spawn w/ two females and raise about twenty fry. (Female battles and stealing fry left me w/ only twenty, the clutches were larger.) I grew them out for months, patiently waiting and hoping I'd have several of my own healthier males. I spent hours and days studying fins for a hint of the majestic orange tail circle and super long dorsal lappets. NO! Eight months later I had to sadly concede, I had all girls!!! (Boo-Hoo!!!!!)

Not to be outdone by some silly little 3" fish; I ponied-up and ordered a new batch. Unfortunately, since they were smaller than the breeder could sex out, I was 'gifted' with a new batch of 12 juvies. And again studying fins everyday . . . . . . . and worrying more. I'm pretty certain of these 12 fish, I've got 11 females. . . maybe 12!!!! Six weeks ago when I received the fish they were approx 3/4". Most of these juvies are now just a tad over 1".

What size do these need to be before I give up any hope of a male emerging and I just throw in the towel? I see a lot of the strong yellow striped body, none more whitish. I see 11 showing the black ventral fins. Only one yet has clear - but not orange - ventrals. None show any color on the caudal fins. Can I be so cursed that these too are all females?

Anyone have tips on how to spot a potential male? I'm about ready to cry. Or go purchase an Oscar just to feed these fish to!! @!!#$@!

What gives? Do these fish HATE me???

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Bump! "Inquiring minds really want to know.":confused: Perhaps I gave too much story in my ????s

First, are black ventral fins a firm diagnostic for females on A. baenschi? - Using a ruler, my fish are 1.25 inches in size now. They've about doubled in the last six weeks.

Second, at what size would any visible orange color start showing on a male's tale fin?

Third, anyone else having problems w/ skewed M/F ratios on A. baenschi? Solutions? (Or these fish hate just me?:frown:)

Stats:
Temp - 78F
pH - 7.4
TDS - 185ppm
H2O - 50%RO & 50%tap(harder tap)

Thanks for any advice offered; I'm definately feeling defeated & frustrated .

georgedv

5 Year Member
I have the opposite problem you do. I have many pelv. Krib Albios, Taenaiatus (nyete & mol) Cac apistos, and rainbows .....all males but one or two feemales.

I'll ship you 100gal of my water if you ship me 100gal of your water.

lol

g

lab

5 Year Member
Raise the temp!

Higher temperatures gives more males, ideally 79 F should provide 50/50 ratio, but that is not always the case...

I have to say that they are maybe a little to small to say for sure, so have a little patience, and som males might show up. Individuals with black ventrals as juveniles can later on show to be males. Anyway, temperature is the easiest way to control the sex ratio.

As a little side note, I would probably also lower the pH to about 6. This will most likely also give you larger broods. This can be a very prolific species, and with more fish there is a better chance of both sexes.

Good luck,
Lars

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
Romers work on sex determination in apistogramma is very good however the interpretation that 26c will give you a 50:50 sex ratio is true however it is still possible to get 100% broods of male or female at this temp. The 50:50 ratio comes from 10 or 20 spawns not just one.So 26c give you the best chance of haveing a good sex ratio but it is no guarantee.

baenschi are quite easy to sex even at a small size. Solution raise the temp on the next spawn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….