• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Diverting a mosquito problem

georgedv

5 Year Member
My fishroom is located in the stand alone garage. I have found several mosquitos in the room. I have spent days checking every inch in each tank looking for eggs on the surface or larvae....nothing.

Just to be on the safe side is there anything that I can use in the fishroom to repell these beasts. For those of you that hunt what is your input on something called a Thermacell mosquito repellent?

Any info to is welcome.

thanks

g

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi George,
Where lucky in the UK that our mosquitos don't carry West Nile Fever or Malaria (although they once did) etc.

I actually try to encourage them by putting buckets of water, with some grass clippings in, to get some free fish food.

If they lay eggs in the tanks the inhabitants should eat them, any other water could be covered? I don't think any of the non-chemical repellents work, and most of the chemical ones are fairly nasty. How about fine mesh over the doors and windows?

cheers Darrel

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thanks Darrel,

I think I will need to rethink my covers.

I wish there was a bait that would attract the mosquitos. I could then place the bait in some kind of trap that would let them in, but not out.

g

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi,

I do the same in Sydney, a birdbath or container with water, then you get free food of larvae and wordm for the apisto. In my view ,as long as you do not have a plague, then swat them when you see them. DO NOT USE SPRAY at all. But remember free food is good food for Apistos
cheers jk :biggrin:

fishme.

5 Year Member
i had the same problem in my fishroom

The solution came with some spiders that came in by them selves and created their nets at the corners of the fishroom and they ate all the mosqitos

then i caught a specimen of a gecko species that is endemic in greece (Hemidactylus turcicus)
http://www.reptilesofaz.com/Lizards-Subpages/h-h-turcicus.html and ate all the spiders , so i got it back where i collected it and now my fishroom is only 'fish'room

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….