• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discoloration on Bolivian Ram

dfea

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Can someone tell me what this discoloration may be on the base of my Bolivian Ram's tail. It has been there for about a month. I inherited this Ram with a tank of Discus from a friend and it had the spot when I brought it home. At first I thought it was simply an injury which was healing. But as it is still there I'm guessing it isn't. When I got the tank from my friend, the water quality wasn't the best but has since been corrected. The discoloration looks internal, and I don't see any fuzziness to it as I would expect with a fungus.

529110053_V963b-L.jpg

529110029_zgHuB-L.jpg

529109995_JV97T-L.jpg

529109959_2DFvC-L.jpg

529109915_WHtqD-L.jpg

Thanks - Dan

dfea

5 Year Member
Just one and it was added only recently. My original Ram had already had the spot. Not 100% on sexes, I believe the one pictures to be male, while the newly added to be female (but hard to tell).

Also the tank is a 75G US. The Discus pretty much ignore the Ram too.

- Dan

Cam.B

5 Year Member
I have worked with rams queit a bit and discolouration can happen for 2 reasons, Either they need a couple more mates, or sometimes they get territorial in crowded tanks, but in a tank the size of yours this shoudn't happen. In the size of your tank, I would recommend either adding a couple more females, or getting some other community dwarf cichlids such as Gold rams(or German blue rams). what I would do is get at least 2-3 more bolivian rams in your tank. Because it might help your bolivian rams out with there discolouration because they are probably a little lonely in such a big tank with bigger fish in there.

-Cam

ps: how many didcus do you have in your tank?

dfea

5 Year Member
I have to admit I am a little surprised that its mood could cause a blotch like that but, I like these little Rams, so I don't mind getting a few more.

On the Discus count, unfortunately too many, There are four adults and four juveniles. I am currently trying to determine what to do with them.

Thanks - Dan

Cam.B

5 Year Member
Ya, when I first got my Bolivians, the same process happened with me. So, a few more bolivians would work great in your tank.

fishgeek

Are you talking about the solid white? creamy opacity?

If so i dont think that is mood related at all
more likely there is a thickening of the normal tissue because cells that are not normally in this region are there

If the region blurrs into the surrounding tissue and is not protruding above the surface of the surrounding tissue then fibrosis or scarring is a possibility

Inflamatory response , as seen in lymphocytosis maybe raised and sometimes irregular on the surface

Infection may have some red streaking around or variable colouration of the opacity

From here it is hard to see 3D image
Depending on what i thought was occuring I might be inclined to lance
I certainly wuldnt suggest adding more fish when a possible pathology is unknown... you might just end up with more fish with similar pathology

dfea

5 Year Member
Yes that is exactly the blotch I am concerned with.

I have just gotten some info from the friend I received the Ram from; "he has had that for a while when the discus were spawning they got territorial and nipped him good. There was a fungus infection that I treated with a salt bath."

I see no red streaking ao I assume it is not infected. I don't recall seeing it raised of inflamed, I will look again, if not and scarring is suspect then am I correct in assuming it is nothing to be concerned with? If so, I am not actually comfortable with lancing, is there another way to treat?

Thanks - Dan

dfea

5 Year Member
So I ran home on lunch and took another look; the spot does appear to be raised slightly on one side. I assume treatment will be required, how should I do this?

Thanks - Dan

fishgeek

you can have proud/raised (called cheloid scarring in people) scarring

if the lesion has no redness and is suggested as being scarring
and the fish is not bothered by and the lesion is not increasing in size... then do nothing except monitor

the lancing is more appropriate if it is an active or inflamed lesion... doesn't sound like it is necessary here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….