• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Apistograma Agassizi Aquarium

jlamy

5 Year Member
Hi!
For my first post i´ll leave you here some details and pics of my aquarium:

Setup:

Aquarium: 60*36*30cm ( 65L)
Lightening: 2x36w Pl
Filter: Eheim Ecco
Substract: ADA Power Sand; Aquasoil Amazonia, Elos Bottom Mineral
Heater:Jager 150w
Decoration: Roots, black rocks
Plants: Anubias nana " Petit"; Microsorum pteropus, Blyxa Japonica, Glossostigma
Fish: Black Otto´s, Ancistrus, Apistogramma Agassizi Super Red (couple),Lda 25 Pitbull, Neons
Temperature:26º
Ph:6,7

Photos:

Pic_17388_27.jpg
Pic_17388_30.jpg

Pic_17388_28.jpg
Pic_17388_29.jpg

Hope you enjoy it!

P.S. Sorry for my poor English...

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
That is a lovely tank. I can't fault it the look or the stocking as a display tank, but you might find that you have problems with the Neons & Ancistrus, when your cichlids spawn.

Personally, I'm hopeless with aquascapes, as as soon as I see some bare sand or wood, I plant something or staple on some java moss. If you want your cichlids to spawn as raise fry in the tank, I'd remove the Ancistrus and the Neons (I don't think the other loricariids will bother your fry), and try adding another female, although that may be impossible now the original female is in place. Have a look through the archive for "dithers", most people like Pencil fish (Nannostomus etc. ), although other small top orientated tetras/killis etc are used.

I'd also put in some more cover, probably "coconut" caves and wood on the bare sand.

cheers Darrel

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
I agree Darrel on the Neons they are very good hunters of Apisto fry but it is very interesting to watch but very sad for the female. Neons will surround the female and one Noen will go in and as the felmale chase this fish off the rest of the school will dive in.

However i would not worry about the Ancistrus i have never had problems with them and even if the Ancistrus eats the first spawn the female will soon learn too dig herself in deeper.

I really suppose it depends on if the tank is just for show or not. With a small school of Neons a female apisto will still be able to raise one of too fry.

jlamy

5 Year Member
I really suppose it depends on if the tank is just for show or not. With a small school of Neons a female apisto will still be able to raise one of too fry.

I think both, to show and if they want, to raise. The neons where the latest fish to go to the aquarium. The aquarium seemed a little bit peacefull :) But the king´s of the aquarium are the agassizi, they have such a strong personality. The ancistrus...I don´t know where he is, the peace of wood has a lot of holes on it, I only saw it twince...When I put it in the aquarium, and on a day during the night.
I have another aquarium with Discus, I want to "try" another type of apistos...any suggestion?
Thank´s for the comment´s.

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
I have found over the years that aggie males can make very good fathers which in a tank like your improve the chances of the fry surviving. I have even had an aggie adopt a school of pebas fry in a stick tank which did seem to confuse the pebas female some what to say the least. After a few day she excepted it.

What i am trying to say is Apisto behavior changes depending on the circumstance they find themselves in. I think one of the main reasons why it is said that apisto dont pair bond is because they really dont need to and the female looks at the male as the only target fish or that he is not doing his job.

Apisto dont like the temp of discus tanks much so you are probebly better off going with dicrosus sp instead.

RAF

5 Year Member
Hi,

as you've been told, neons aren't the best dithers, you would do better with some Nanostomus, for instance.

That's a nice tank... I think I've seen it before.

As for dwarfs to put in a Discus tank I, also, agree with what was said about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….