• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

blue ram sexing

bruincaster

5 Year Member
Hiya guys, I m new to the forums but I was hoping someone can help me sex this blue ram. Hoping its a female, however this one has really good colors so Im not so sure and the other male harasses this one.

Thanks in advance!
m189161003.jpg

curviceps

5 Year Member
Blue Ram females also have very good colours. They are easy to sex as they have magenta coloured bellies. It seems like there is a hint of that in your photo, but you can observe this more for yourself.

bruincaster

5 Year Member
Thanks curviceps. I read that too. I also saw something about the blue spangling on their bodies, but the male in the background fits more into the female sex than the one in the front. He has a dark red belly and his spangling is less uniform and inside the black dots.

I can try to take better photos today, but they are with a camera phone and fishies r fast =/

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The front fish looks like a female to me. Females have a more round black spot on the flanks. This spot has blue spangles throughout. Males have a more elongated black flank spot. Blue spangles are concentrated around the edge.

bruincaster

5 Year Member
okay lol, so i think you guys are right its a female. problem is i think the one i thought was a male is also a female.. thats life lol.

another picture of the female:

o189258578.jpg

a picture of the male:
o189258579.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….