• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma nijsseni in a 10 gallon?

kidbookrev

5 Year Member
Hi,

I did a post a few days ago about breeding German blue rams in a 10 gallon tank. I've still been doing research, and I've come across a species that I really like the look of, even more so that blue rams. Apistogramma nijsseni, another dwarf cichlid. It seems like 10 gallons is a common size to keep a pair in, so if I can find them, I would like to try.
I do have a question: Are they plant friendly?

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these? Also, do they have a common name, or are they just referred to as A. nijsseni?

Thanks,
Isaac

gingerbeer

5 Year Member
nijsenni are otherwise known as psycho cichlids (OK maybe not commonly but that is my name for them).

I have a pair and they will clear out full grown angels without worry. This is important as I reckon that it will either go really well if they are a very well bonded pair - or they will kill each other very quickly.

I would suggest there are better fish for your tank.

HTH

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I would say that a 20 long or thirty standard with an almost impenetrable barrier of plants somewhere close to the middle of the tank would be good for a pair. Nijsseni is an angry apisto. I have never had a pair that one of the fish didnt have a chip on its shoulder. Even as juvies that are little mean bastards.

kidbookrev

5 Year Member
Ok, sounds like not a good idea:biggrin:

Are there any other apistos (or other dwarf cichlids other than rams) that could be happy in a 10 gallon? I'm not ruling out the rams, but I want to see what my options are.

Thanks
Isaac

Gillie

5 Year Member
If you like the Nijsseni types there is still Panduro and Inka/Baenschi both very nice fish and not really homicidal. I keep both species in 10 gallons decorated with a couple coconut caves a piece of driftwood with java moss with some watersprite floating at the top and both are pretty happy, but I will eventually move them into 20 longs.

red

5 Year Member
We didn't have good luck with nijsseni in a 10g.. We have had luck with cockatoos in 10gs though.

Just my experience with them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….