• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nannocara anomala

edinjapan

5 Year Member
I got a bunch of these in trade and put them into my large 120cm x 45cm x45 cm aquarium. I'd like to breed them,they're still a bit small. Tankmates are 2 pairs of dwarf gouramies, 1 pair of B pallafina, 1 pair of P pulcher, a trio of Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi and 4 dwarf ancistrus. Decor consists of a large piece of wood, some pottery caves, Crypt lucens and wendii, N stellata, Amazon Frogbit and some native vallisneria. pH varies from 5.8 to 6.4, KH and GH are so low I can't get a reading.

I have 2 females that have coloured up and are trying to get the males interested.

edinjapan

5 Year Member
I stand corrected, one female laid eggs on the glass, the other one has a nest in the wood somewhere.

edinjapan

5 Year Member
edinjapan .....

Please correct it to Nannacara anomala :biggrin:

wakarimashita

Eggs have hatched, mom moved the babies to the bottom of the tank. The other female puts in brief appearances for food then disappears back into her hole. Don't know if she has eggs or if they've hatched.

fishme.

5 Year Member
i have a trio in 50 litres and they breed from time to time but the second female eats the fry when the mother chases the dither fish nannostomus eques

edinjapan

5 Year Member
Both females have basically staked out different territories that never touch. The one female has a territory that is the entire surface of the wood and is vertical in nature, the other's territory is the bottom of the tank. As the wood only touches the gravel at 3 points in the tank there is little overlap of territory.

Of course they have to contend with different ditherfish-the female on the wood must contend with the gouramies, the B pallafina and the ancistrus. The other female has to deal with the kribs, Egyptian mouthbrooders and ancistrus-she is much more agressive and manages to send them packing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….