• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. Twin/Zwilling (A181)

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
I collected these a good few months back on one of my rambles around the UK, problem is I can't quite remember where it was now!!

They've sat in one of the tanks on the bottom row of the rack since they came into the fish house, found the female gurading a nice little clutch of fry yesterday.

Male:
apisto_sp_twin_male_001.jpg

Female:
apisto_sp_twin_female_001.jpg

And I know it's over exposed but at full size (2000+ px wide) the female on the left and the fry on the lower right looking at each other gets to you!!
apisto_sp_twin_female_fry_001.jpg

Andrew

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

5 Year Member
Andrew, your using a D50, cant you shoot in RAW??
if you did it'd be an easy fix for adjusting the exposure (and you'll lose no data, as you dont damage it as you would with changes to a JPG)

Lolojil

5 Year Member
Hi Andrew,

The female seems to be a female A. panduro and not A. sp "Zwilling".

....... and I think that fry are hybrids between the 2 species :frown: .

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi Andrew,

The female seems to be a female A. panduro and not A. sp "Zwilling".

....... and I think that fry are hybrids between the 2 species :frown: .

I understand your reasoning, but I'm not convinced that is the case. Couple of things that don't stack up for it being a female A. panduro:

Stock tank. When collected there were only A. sp. Zwilling males visible in the tank, no sign of A. panduro males (and I don't think the 2 are found close together in the wild), so, fingers crossed the males and females were from the same catch.

Female markings. The female has a definite black mark under the chin (one point listed as diagnostic for A. sp Zwilling by Romer) and t's a mark I have never seen in any of the A. panduro I've kept on the past.

I appreciate she doesn't show the large caudal spot, I would have to admit though that the display of caudal spots by all the members of the Nijsseni complex I have kept has been variable at the best of times.

Andrew

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
I have to agree with Lolojil thats is a A. panduro female and not A. sp. Zwilling.

and all the A. sp. Zwilling females i have show a centre spot not a band and alway show the caudal spot. As cowinsidence has it the stock tank i have them in does contain some f1 panduro.

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Done some digging in the records, looked like I picked these up in the North East through the Tom Halvorsen outlet.

There's a rogue female kicking around in the tank with them as well, may pull the male and that female into their own tank and see how the markings develop on this other female.

What still doesn't sit right with it being a A. panduro female though is the chin spot, any one seen this on their A. panduro before??

Andrew

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Right, just gone through the tank.

Male removed to another breeding tank, caught rogue female that was still in with the pair.

She shows some slight vertical barring towards the rear of the body under stress and more importantly has a large caudal peduncle spot, so she's now in with the male.

Female A. panduro??? with fry, left in tank and a few Corydoras cats added to 'mop up' the rogue fry.

Will hopefully see a female A. sp. Zwilling in full breeding dress in the next few weeks....

Andrew

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….