• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi - opinions

Corine

5 Year Member
I would like some objective opinions on these two please! (Click on the picture to be taken to a bigger picture.)

This was taken with aquarium light from above and flash from below. Nothing else done to the pictures except resize.

Cathy G

5 Year Member
You have a male and a female, he looks a bit skinny from this angle. Um, was there something else you were looking for?
Cathy

Corine

5 Year Member
You have a male and a female, he looks a bit skinny from this angle. Um, was there something else you were looking for?
Cathy

He is a bit skinny, and also quite shy compared to her. He has had a good feed today though.

I'm looking at opinions on form and colour I suppose. Do these look good enough to do some decent breeding with? A good starter pair you might say? They're Dutch bred, young adults and the best of the group. The others were similar but not as striking in colour as these two. They're very healthy, other than the male needing some fattening up I can find nothing wrong with them at first, second and third glance.

Cathy G

5 Year Member
I'd sure go for it and breed them. To me, health is more important than beauty. (Yours are nice fish - I'm not saying they aren't!). I had a so-so colored male, but he had nicer than usual red in his fins. His sons were gorgeous, robust, well colored and very healthy. You'll end up with LOTS of fry so make sure you have room and energy to grow them out. Once they get to a couple of months old, the best of the males will begin to stand out and you'll see what you've got.
Good luck!
Cathy

Corine

5 Year Member
Ooo, lovely.

I caught them cleaning up a rock this evening. They've only been in the tank for a day! :eek:

Funnily enough, they are extremely popular here, but their availability in LFS is patchy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….