• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Id needed for our new friend!

j0ns

5 Year Member
Hi everyone-

I've had mostly koi fish growing up, but now that I'm off at an apartment near UCSD, I decided to get a cichlid for a small tank, after reading about them briefly in Aquarium Fish magazine and elsewhere.

My roomate and I went to a LFS yesterday, and purchased a nice looking cichlid under "Assorted Cichlid", for $2.99. I'm aware it's on the pricey side, but I think we got the perfect cichlid. :D

Now though, we can't identify what species this cichlid falls under. Nothing in this ID topic seems to match up to it. Any help ID'ing it would be great.

Thanks!

-JOnathan

2611809683_9e29c3f5dd_o.jpg

2612644240_22be5d674b_o.jpg

2612644180_04c4bfce24_o.jpg

2611809527_9715c379f7_o.jpg

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

The reason for not finding a match on this site is due to this being a Rift Lake cichlid (Lake Malawi I think,as to actual species....??) and not a 'dwarf' cichlid.

Andrew

eranu

5 Year Member
As above :(

Did you ask at the shop about the fishes suitability for you setup? You haven't specified your setup but this fish is probably completely unsuitale for it. Its quite likely to be a hybrid species, often sols as 'mixed'.

The only advice I cam give is that you take i straight back.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your fish looks like a young Pseudotropheus kenyei. Juvinals and females will be blue and males as they mature turn yellow.

The fish can reach sizes arond 5" and are on the aggressive side. It will work for a while in a smal tank, but only by itself.

Jeff

Mark

5 Year Member
Absolutely a Malawi cichlid. Its official name is Pseudotropheus lombardoi (and not P. kenyi; that's an old non-official name).

Mark

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Absolutely a Malawi cichlid. Its official name is Pseudotropheus lombardoi (and not P. kenyi; that's an old non-official name).

Mark

Opps, thanks for the name correction. I'm aware of both names but couldn't remember off the top of my head which name was current!

Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….